Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner fading

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner fading

So just wanted to share this - it's come up relatively often - the issue of 'does liquid chlorine aka bleach, cause your liner to fade'. The consensus has been no. I think I discovered a sort of "evidence" of this in my 13 year old pool.

Has my liner faded? Yes. I've used liquid as my primary chlorine source for 7 years now. However, the fading was there prior to the switch. What I discovered is under the ladder pad, I can still make out the pattern - so this would suggest to me the sun is the culprit - if it were caused by the use of liquid the liner pattern under the ladder pad would also have faded, wouldn't you agree?

Take a look (ignore the dirt, pre-vaccum...)

20140511_083859-1 by poolmom11, on Flickr
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Liner fading

Hard to say about the sun. To my knowledge, pigmentation fades off of a surface from being exposed to UV rays. UV rays do not penetrate water so I don't think the sun would be the culprit on anything submerged.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I kinda see the pattern on the side of the wall too. What do you say to heavy traffic over a number of years (13) in a well maintained pool for 7 of those years? Maybe the ink just wore off to the traffic of a busy pool that children have used all summer every summer along with chemical maintenance? These liners aren't made to last forever...
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Not made to last forever? You're saying I'm pushing my luck? LOL frankly I'm surprised it's lasted these last couple years.

I see what your saying, hadn't thought about that. The pattern is more visible on the wall. Funny where the pattern is above the water line is not faded at all despite being exposed to the UV rays. So can it be from heavy traffic? I noticed in a clients pool that has a suction side auto vac their liner pattern seems more faded where the floor meets the wall, like an area that the vac repeatedly goes over... that could be fading the liner?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

You're pushing your luck! Time for a new one!!! lol
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Some UV light does penetrate water, I forget the exact depth before it all gets absorbed, but I think it is in the 5 ft ballpark.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

My liner has 30 mil walls and 20 mil floor and the floor has faded more than the walls. It can really be seen at the joint where the two different sized materials were fused together. One might think that it was the different orientation but one of the walls goes onto the floor for about 6 inches and has not faded nearly as much. Who would have guessed that the print would fade differently based on the vinyl thickness?
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's interesting...
    well my water is only 4 ft deep so maybe some of it is the sun... idk

9. Back To Top    #9

very interesting reading. and it sparks a question:

CYAs primary function is to protect chlorine from UV rays. So, would a higher CYA level in a pool help protect the liner as well from UV rays?

I know running a high CYA level in an attempt to protect the liner would not be a logical idea, but for curiousity sake....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Hah, my CYA was 140 when I discovered TFP in 2007. Liner had already begun to fade...

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    Hah, my CYA was 140 when I discovered TFP in 2007. Liner had already begun to fade...
    well.... that blows that theory out of the water.....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!