Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi.
We are going to have our pool resurfaced. Recently moved into home and now our plaster pool is starting to delaminate. I have thought about re plastering as it is least $, but at same time thought it may be smarter to pay more now up frt for a surface that will last longer. We both like the smoothness of plaster, and think it would fare better with our infants as we begin to get them in the pool. Hence that is why I have been looking at the Pebble Fina and Wet Edge Primera. Ruled out the Pebble Tec and Sheen, and Wet Edge Pearl matrix & Satin Matrix due to the exposed aggregate/potential roughness under foot.

I'm just curious which is the best avenue out of the options in the title bar as far as durability. I was reading the post Ten Guidelines for Quality Plaster, & it sounds like plaster can get up to 20 years out of it if cared for right. Realistically I was thinking 10 if that. In CA here, The Wet Edge Primera has a 15 yr warranty whereas I'm unsure on the Pebble Fina.

The Wet edge Primera is apparently more marble and matrix and can be polished if there are ever problems years down the road. The Fina I again am unclear how that is different from the Primera. I just know that the Fina is the least $ out of the Pebble products and I think it may have a shorter warranty. Sure, I already know about the Pebble installers have to be certified, but that is irrelevant if I find a competent, experienced installer of the Wet edge Primera.

The one thing I do know in this situation is the $ is much higher for the aggregate vs plaster. Plaster is approx $4500-5000, whereas Wet Edge Primera is almost $8500, and the pebble Fina is $7000-7200 if I recall correctly. Could the is Primera really any better, more durable than the Fina with a cost difference if up $1500?

If any of u Wet Edge Primera or Pebble Fina owners care to comment, I would really appreciate it. Or if u own any Pebble or Wet Edge and can comment plz do so.

If price was not or had not been the factor, did anyone choose plaster vs. one of the aforementioned aggregates?

I just (this month) had a "face lift" on my pool. I could have justified any of the finishes financially (with the exception of beadcrete - just couldn't justify that). I LOVE the darker greys and blacks and really could have been very happy color wise with one of the darker tech finishes. For my family, it all came down to smoothness. We play hard in the pool. We have friends with pebble tech and my kids have come out of their pool with bloody feet. I just didn't want that no matter how pretty and long lasting the finish is. So I went with grey plaster. I was finally in the pool yesterday for the first time since the redo and it is as smooth as butter. I love it. I do not regret the decision at all.

I think another thing that doesn't get talked about a lot here, but did come in to play for me is the idea that in 10 years when I will start thinking about replastering, I will probably want a new look. Right now I love the darker water, but maybe in 10 years the trend will be towards bright crisp white finishes with clear water. Maybe in 10 years I will feel like the beach entry is a "must get" upgrade to the steps that I have now. Or maybe we will be installing LED twinkle lights inside the plaster. Who knows what is coming. I have pretty consistent taste in my decorating, but I felt like plaster would give me the ability to justify updates to keep current. Another thing to think of is resale. If you are selling your house within a 10 year time frame, you may not be able to justify the cost of the aggregate over plaster.

If you can find pools with finishes that are several years old, you might want to look at those. I almost went with quartz, but visited one that was about half way through expected life span. It felt kind a like an emery board to me. It might not have had the maintenance that it should have, but it was "gritty" feeling. The new one that the pool co had shown me was smooth as silk! I am sure you will get a ton of people chiming in on their finishes. I probably erred a bit on the side of caution, but like I said, we play hard in our pool.

I assure you that regular white pool plaster (with limestone aggregate) can last 20 years and often longer than that, as long as the workmanship is performed properly, and good water chemistry maintenance is followed too.

Quartz aggregate finishes are more durable and offer good color, but workmanship and water chemistry are still important.

I assure you that regular white pool plaster (with limestone aggregate) can last 20 years and often longer than that, as long as the workmanship is performed properly, and good water chemistry maintenance is followed too.

Quartz aggregate finishes are more durable and offer good color, but workmanship and water chemistry are still important.

Tx for the replies, I appreciate it.

What do u mean plaster with limestone aggregate? I didn't know plaster uses aggregrate, but rather I thought
It was cement. I admit I'm green to all of this.

Whether it is typical white pool plaster, quartz, or pebble finishes, they all contain Portland cement.
The aggregate is what is different for each one.
White plaster contains limestone (or calcite) aggregate
Quartz finishes contains quartz aggregate.
Pebble finishes contain pebble stones.
So the cement portion is the same.
Sometimes a color pigment is added to color the white cement with all finishes.
Hope that helps.

I have been looking into pebble fina too, after ruling out pebble sheen and pebble tec as just too rough. I'm not sure pebble fina is worth the added expense. I prefer the look of grey plaster pools. Pebble fina feels and looks like plaster in my initial inspections. Is there something I'm missing?

Shad Dixon

Sorry I can't answer u Shad as I still need to get over to Adam's Pools to see/feel their displays. I am trying to learn about Fina as well. From what I understand it may be the least durable of the Pebble finishes. If the longevity of Fina is not that much greater than plaster, but it comes at a premium price, seems like plaster would suffice.

The one detractor for me with plaster us that some of the contractors have mentioned plaster needs more brushing during startup vs. an aggregate (not sure how legitimate their statements are though). Twice a day brushing of plaster during startup (1st month?) could be tough to manage with my schedule.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.