Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Back filling a semi inground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

North/West Ohio

Back filling a semi inground pool?

What is the proper material to use when back filling a semi inground pool? The pool will be about 26" deep. 16'x24' oval with a deck half way around. One installer wants to use all sand with some river rock ontop to finish it, the other installer just wants to use the excavated dirt. The over dig around the pool will be about 24" wide x 26" deep. It is a clay/sand mixture.

Ready to get this going

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Back filling a semi inground pool?

There isn't a must use material. Here where I build I use either 1" clean limestone or 3/8" limestone. That is my personal preference as I see less deck issues. Some builders use dirt, that makes them money since they aren't buying backfill material.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Iowa

Ours is back filled about half way around the pool, no more than 24" deep. We just used the dirt from excavating. Ours was a DIY though....
    27' x 54" AG Morada RTR/17,300 gal/ 2hp-2spd Hayward Power-Flo Matrix/Hayward 256T sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Canberra Australia

Hi there Do not use sand... Sand acts like a fluid when wet and can shift, most of the partial inground pools just use the dirt from excavating...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction

5. Back To Top    #5
    Frankfort , Illinois

My dirt from excavating was really hard to use. So we order a top soil which cots me $135 for 3 yards with delivery. It was very easy to work with.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub