Check System No Flow on spa only

Feb 6, 2013
Jupiter, Florida
Saltwater pool with Hayward system and chlorine generating cell. Pool is running fine, no issues. Turned the spa on tonight to heat it up and it ran fine for about 10 minutes and then would shut off. Display said "Check System-No flow - Filter". I could turn the filter back on and it would run fine again for another 10 minutes and then shut off. I haven't a clue what is going on. Any hints? I had a tech out for another problem last week and he reset all of my settings. Any comments appreciated!

Are you saying the SWG shuts off? Or the heater shuts off? Or the pump shuts off?

The SWG would not be surprising because the flow switch is usually plumbed in the pool loop so the spa does not get over chlorinated while in use. But that should not turn off the heater or pump.

Sorry for my bad explanation. Pool filter runs on the timer all day, no problem. Chlorine generator is at 60% and running fine. Filter shuts off as it should when time runs out. I turned the spa on manually last night to use with heater in auto control mode and set at 95 degrees. It filters and begins heating but after 10 minutes the entire system shuts down, filter and heater. That's when Check System -No flow - filter is displayed. I can manually restart it and it filters and heats. 10 minutes later same thing.

Can you add a picture of your equipment/plumbing layout? I see that error listed in the manual, but can not figure out why it would be thrown. I am thinking that there is a setting that got lost in the reset ...

I am guessing that your flow switch (which is only for the SWG) is in the pool loop and while in spa mode the flow switch is not closing and the system shuts down for safety. Likely there is a simple setting that just needs to say to ignore the flow switch and leave the SWG off in spa mode.

Assuming what I said above is true ... try this.
Press the "Menu" button until you get to "Settings Menu"
Then press the ">" button until you get to "Spa Chlorinator"
Make sure that is set to ZERO using the + and - buttons

If that is not 0 then the SWG will try to generate in spa mode, but if the flow switch is not in that plumbing loop, then it will shut down. Honestly I am surprised it shuts the pump down and not just the SWG. So maybe I do not fully understand the issue yet.

- - - Updated - - -

What pump and filter do you have?

Just found another possibility which is more likely the issue.
There is a function called "Flow Monitor" which will shut down the pump if it does not sense flow on the flow switch. Again, if the flow switch is in the pool loop, then it will not sense flow in spa mode. If this is how the plumbing is set up, then you will need to disable this feature.

Press Menu button to get to "Configuration" which is locked
Press and hold < and > for 5 seconds to unlock
Press > or < to scroll to "Filter Config"
Press + to enter pump options
Press > or < to scroll to "Flow Monitor"
Press + or - to toggle to "Disable"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad it worked, I figured it would be the second thing. Should not hurt anything, most people do not have that kind of sensor. Honestly, I did not know it had this feature and wonder if mine is enabled.

Well now I am back to my original problem which brought about the reset! My filter turns on and off at will. Prior to the flow monitor issue above it was coming on at odd hours. It even came on when I had the filter out for cleaning one day. Called a local tech out who ran through the settings, reset it, and it started working normally. No miscellaneous on and offs, just when the timer was set. Then we used the spa and noticed the problem that started this thread. I reset the flow setting as discussed above and no I get up this morning an pool has turned itself on again. Any clue as to why this would be so?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.