Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need recommendations for a new pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Yorktown, VA

Need recommendations for a new pool cleaner

I have a 12 year old Hayward Navigator, whose lackluster performance I've been tolerating for too long. It can barely (and rarely) climb out of the deep end, and never reaches some areas of the slopes. I want to replace it with one that is not only able to cover the entire bottom efficiently, but also climb the walls.

I have a 20x40 vinyl liner, 8.5' deepest, sand filter, do not have a booster pump, but have a vacuum connection at the center of the side wall. I'm not sure if any models are capable of climbing walls without a booster pump though. If not, so be it...I'm not adding a booster pump. So for my current setup, any recommendations of currently available options? I'm overwhelmed by the options in pool supply catalogs.

33,000 gallon, IG vinyl, Hayward Super Pump, 1.5 Hp single speed, sand filter, salt system, built 2002

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Need recommendations for a new pool cleaner

You have a suction cleaner. Only some pressure cleaners require booster pumps. If you want too stick with a suction cleaner, I would recommend The Pool Cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Deep South

What is also nice about the Poolvergnuegen is that it works very well with low suction as I can run an ultraquiet 15 GPM flow with the IntelliFlo VF and the cleaner keeps running

For the size of 33k you want the 4 wheel model

4. Back To Top    #4

Covina, CA (Los Angeles)

+1 on The Pool Cleaner... I'm very impressed with mine.
    15,500 gallon outdoor in-ground 17'x35' quartz pool w/ attached spa; Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump (3/4hp); Pentair SMBW4060 DE Filter (58sf, 160Gpm), Pentair MasterTemp Heater (400k BTU/hr) Taylor K-2006 test kit