Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG vs Ozone Vs Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

United States

SWG vs Ozone Vs Chlorine

Hello Pool Master

I'm less than rookie with pools. I'm planning to build a pool at my home. We are a family of four (4) 95% of the time. I'm a little confuse with the different kinds of pools. Some friends recommend salt, neighbors ozone and family chlorine.

Please help me. Thanks in advance. Atascocita, TX (Houston Area)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: SWG vs Ozone Vs Chlorine

Ozone is easy....don't waste your money. The sun provides UV energy for free that does the same thing as an ozone system.

Saltwater pools are chlorine pools. The difference is that with a saltwater generator, they are much more automatic. With a "manually" chlorinated pool, you will have to put some type of chlorine product in the pool every day or every other day. Cost wise, they are about the same; with SWGs you pay up front.

Take a look at this article in pool school
    ; it may help explain a little further.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Ok, first off an SWG pool is a chlorine pool, it just generates the chlorine by passing an electric current through salt water (salt is Sodium Chloride, he current separates the Sodium ion from the Chlorine ion). This allows for a somewhat easier chlorination system, but there are a couple of down sides, the salt water can be corrosive to some soft stones, like flag stone that is very popular in Texas. Also the SWG generating cells have a limited life and must be replaced every few years, if they last their typical expected life the cost of operation of an SWG vs manual chlorination is about the same, but if they die prematurely the SWG can end up costing you more money to operate.

As to Ozone, the short answer is just say no, the long answer is a well built Ozone system can in conjunction with other cleaning practices provide a reasonably sanitary pool, these are often used in Europe where they seem to have a cultural hatred of all things Chlorine. But this is not the typical small residential ozone system found in the U.S., instead we are talking systems with multi thousand gallon holding tanks, large ozone generators, etc. By contrast the inline ozonators sold in the U.S. are at best supplemental oxidation systems, which are only needed in certain special circumstance chlorine pools, primarily indoor pools, and perhaps smaller warmer than average high use pools such as those used for physical therapy. Ozone generators can also be handy for supplemental oxidation in hot tubs, another elevated temperature, relatively small high bather load (to area) application.

Having said all that the choice of type of chlorination system SWG or manual (or metering pump), should be fairly far down on the choices for building a pool, far higher should be type of pool (size, shape, depth), material selection, and equipment / automation choices, and of course placement if you have options in your yard.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Canberra Australia

I'm a huge bleach fan... Its easy and doesn't add anything else to your pool except for a little salt, it does what its supposed to.... You can automate your liquid chlorine (bleach) from the very expensive like a logic system with ph adjuster and acid and chlorine doser, or you can go with a product called the Liquidator, or a Stenner Peristaltic pump which works on a timer, or some guy has had great success with a $19 aquarium pump....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction