Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation Or A Slow Leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hillsborough, NC

Evaporation Or A Slow Leak?

It is also possible I have a faulty .memory. I am pretty sure I only drained the pool last fall to just below the skimmer. The return was still in the water, so I rigged up a snorkel for it. Anyway, when I took the cover off today the water level was just at the bottom of the return. So, do I have a leak somewhere? Or will that much water evaporate, even under the winter cover? It did get much colder (like single digits) then it normally gets here. I am also considering that ice damaged the liner.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Evaporation Or A Slow Leak?

There is some evaporation even with a cover, but it should minimal to unmeasurable. If you really did close with the water above the returns, chances are there is a slow leak around the return fitting. If the leak was lower down it would have drained more water over the winter, if it was higher up the pool would not have drained that low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Do the bucket test to find out if you have a leak. But a few inches over many months would not really concern me.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mexico, MO

Ice has a habit of disappearing in single digit temperatures, but I don't think you would be able to lose several inches of water from that alone.

The liner may have a few pinholes in it from the ice, check all along the current waterline for anything that looks suspicious.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.