Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st Timer - test results

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Timer - test results

Hey folks,

Ive been a long time user of the poolfrog and have seen the light and converted over to the TFPM. I ordered the TF-100 and got the following on my 1st test

FC - 8
    CC - 0.5
    CH - 125
    TA - 30
    CYA- 70
    PH - 6.8 (maybe less)

24ft round above ground Vinyl liner , sand filter... That gets a TON of direct sunlight

I used the pool Calculator and added in half (about 50 oz by volume) of the recommended dosage of Baking Soda this evening and plan on retesting the TA and PH tomorrow.

I uncovered and filled the pool today. There was some debris settled at the bottom that I vacuumed out. Still some of it stirred up and more settled at the bottom as you can see in the pic

Am I on the right track?

Once my numbers are within range, How often do I need to test? Daily ? Every other Day?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
    24 ft Round Above Ground - 13500 gallons... Former Pool Frog user. Sand filter . Located just South of Atlanta

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st Timer - test results

Welcome to TFP!

You are doing fairly well.

The only high priority item is to get the PH up. Raise the PH with borax until it is at least 7.2. Don't make further adjustments to TA until PH is handled.

Normally you test chlorine and PH daily, everything else except CYA once a week, and CYA two or three times per season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason, I will get the borax and add it in tomorrow. After adding in the correct amount via the calculator, how long should I wait to test again? The next day?
    24 ft Round Above Ground - 13500 gallons... Former Pool Frog user. Sand filter . Located just South of Atlanta

4. Back To Top    #4

30 minutes with the pump running is plenty.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

I just wanted to say thanks and everything is going well. Too cold to swim but as soon as it warms up some there's some crystal clear water ready to be enjoyed!

6. Back To Top    #6

As a former PoolFrog Owner, I can relate. Welcome!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I never had a hard time with the frog. I adjusted the water when I opened the pool and it ran pretty smooth afterwards as long as I didn't let the bac pac run out. The price of those things went way out of what I was willing to pay to maintain the pool. I'll take $3 bleach jugs and doing my own test happily.

8. Back To Top    #8

I didn't start having "problems" with the Frog till year 4 or 5. But then, I was spending a min of $400 a year via Frog/pool store method. Now I spend roughly $75.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Hard to beat those savings.

10. Back To Top    #10

Any crystal clear pics?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

This is the most recent I have.