Big problems...need some serious advice!

Jun 17, 2011
First...my pool:

Sand filter
Vinyl Liner
Steel wall
Concrete bottom
No water table issues
12,000 gallons

Ok...Long story made short:

Had a problem with my deck sealer. Had to remove all sealer with a soy based stripper. Some of the stripper/sealer residue ended up in pool. Fished most of it out, and vacuumed everything I could to waste.

My pool is now crystal clear, all levels are pretty much bang on according to pool store. Alkalinity was a little low...that's it...and since brought into proper range.

Problem is, pool water has a sweet smell. I think it some of that sealer stripper that's still in there. I drained half pool, refilled and the sweet smell remains.

Do I do a full drain? Can I drain and fill up right away? If not, how far can I go before I worry about liner issues? Is "sweet smell" maybe something else? Will the sweet smell go away?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

I found an MSDS for some soy-based stripper and it says it is biodegradable and flammable and to avoid strong oxidizing agents. So it can probably be chemically oxidized (burnt) with bleach. I think a lot of bleach would fix it. The operative word being "think."

Thanks for the quick reply. I am thinking I am going to have to go for the drain option...but if it is biodegradable, it might just go away with time. I just don't want to risk anything with my kids in there...

I'm not sure on how to solve your problem, but I noticed you you had the pool store do your testing. I would like to suggest investing in one of these Test Kits. I use the TF-100 and it's the best value. Having that kit will give you accurate and consistent test results. You will be in control of your pool and not the pool store.
May is ask how you chlorinate your pool ? ?

Thanks for the quick reply. I am thinking I am going to have to go for the drain option...but if it is biodegradable, it might just go away with time. I just don't want to risk anything with my kids in there...

If your going to drain I would not do a complete drain. Leave a foot or so in the deep end. If you put all your pool and equipment info in your sig, it will help us help you better. ?

Be careful on the drain. Dont drain below the bottom step. Your liner can come up off the floor and away from the side and end up with wrinkles and other problems.

Drain to the step, refill and drain again is your best option.

I am using Chlorine to sanitize pool...with pentair auto feeder

Any chance the sweet smell is something else? I do have my chlorine levels quite high right now...

I am planning on ordering a proper test kit...not that easy to find up here in Canada for some reason...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lets just say for example the pool store numbers are about right, you need to SLAM the pool. Something is eating up your free chlorine.
If the TC is 8.02 and your FC is 6.5, then the CC is 1.52 which is wayyy to high.

CC greater than 0.5 indicate something growing.

You need a reliable test kit right away and I recommend you get the TF 100 with the XL option.

The problem is without a FAS-DPD chlorine test you have not way to measure high levels of chlorine to know how hard you are hitting it, and there is such a thing as hitting too hard and causing damage to the pool and equipment.

You mention that you are in Canada. There is only one company that has exclusive rights to distribute Taylor test kits/chemicals. Another poster tells us he just bought one from them.

Here's the link to their K-2006: http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/test-kits/chlorine.html

If you have a friend on this side of the border, you can have the TF-100 from http://TFtestkits.net shipped to them, and pick it up from there.

So this is what I have done today:

- Replaced sand in filter (the sand was clumped from sealer in filter)

- Drained half pool water so far

Interesting thing I noticed though. When pool water was still, I could see an oil slick type formation on surface. I read somewhere something about adding enzymes to pool? Thoughts?

I just wish I could drain the whole thing....is there any way possible that it could be drained without liner damage? Liner is about 3 years old...

Sorry I missed this when you first posted it, but glad you got it taken care of.

You did the right thing by using the enzyme. That's what I would have recommended.

>> Note to future readers. If the title of this thread had been more specific like 'I Got Deck Sealer In My Pool, What Can I Do?' instead of 'Big problems...need some serious advice!' it most likely would have gotten more attention. Being specific with your thread title will usually get you better advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.