New guy with new pool need help

tribe

Aug 28, 2013
Vienna, VA
Hi folks I purchased a home with a poll a few months back and yesterday I opened it. I did a lot of cleaning and I put in 2 pounds of Leslie's power powder pro. The water looks pretty good; Not as crystal clear as when I closed it but better than expected considering how it looked when I took the cover off

My numbers today are as follow with a Leslie's test kit. I would really appreciate some guidance on what to do next

Clorine : 0
Bromine: 1
PH: 7.5
Alkalinity : 70 ppm
Calcium hardness: 230 ppm
CYA : 30 ppm

Welcome!!

Our way and the Leslie's way are completely different. Your best bet is to buy yourself a good test kit so you aren't relying on them anymore, and while you're waiting for it to arrive, read Pool School over and over and over. Start with the link in my signature.

I know that sounds like it's a terrible answer to your question, but if I tried to give you all the info you need in this post, you would be lost by the third sentence. Read through Pool School then post specific questions and we can help.

Ok got it. I'm reading and I will be ordering the kit here. I still have to throw some Clorine in the pool TODAY as soon as the sum goes down, and, I still have this bucket of super powder that I need to use since I already bought it... So, how much of this powder would you throw in the pool considering I have 30 ppm of CYA? This I think is pretty urgent

Thank you!

Pablo

The first thing to think about is how accurate do you think your 30 ppm of CYA test result? If it's pretty accurate then use the pool school chart for CYA/Chlorine. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

For cya = 30, you want to keep your free chlorine in the 4ppm range. BUT, if you are just reopening or the pool looks off then you probably need to shock it. Again, using the chart you need 12ppm FC to shock. Now use the PoolCalculator... http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Input 17,000 for your pool size then use 0 for your chlorine now and 12 for your goal and it will show 423 oz of 6% bleach or 38 ounces of 73% cal hypo which is what the power power pro is. If you go near the bottom of the pool calc you will see that adding 38 oz of the cal hypo will also raise your CH by 8.6 ppm. You're at a safe level for CH (200 - 400 is normal) but if you keep adding cal hypo, eventually your CH level will be high and the only way to lower it is to drain part of the pool. That's why we recommend using plain ole bleach because it won't raise CH, CYA or anything else but Chlorine.

So go ahead and throw in 38 oz (a little more than a 32oz drink bottle) of the powder but remember that every time you add it, you are increasing your CH. I wouldn't add anymore once my CH got to about 350 max but that's just me.

Ok got it. I'm reading and I will be ordering the kit here. I still have to throw some Clorine in the pool TODAY as soon as the sum goes down, and, I still have this bucket of super powder that I need to use since I already bought it... So, how much of this powder would you throw in the pool considering I have 30 ppm of CYA? This I think is pretty urgent

Thank you!

Pablo

Thank you for the detailed info. This gives me time to read up

CHEERS:goodjob:

The first thing to think about is how accurate do you think your 30 ppm of CYA test result? If it's pretty accurate then use the pool school chart for CYA/Chlorine. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

For cya = 30, you want to keep your free chlorine in the 4ppm range. BUT, if you are just reopening or the pool looks off then you probably need to shock it. Again, using the chart you need 12ppm FC to shock. Now use the PoolCalculator... http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Input 17,000 for your pool size then use 0 for your chlorine now and 12 for your goal and it will show 423 oz of 6% bleach or 38 ounces of 73% cal hypo which is what the power power pro is. If you go near the bottom of the pool calc you will see that adding 38 oz of the cal hypo will also raise your CH by 8.6 ppm. You're at a safe level for CH (200 - 400 is normal) but if you keep adding cal hypo, eventually your CH level will be high and the only way to lower it is to drain part of the pool. That's why we recommend using plain ole bleach because it won't raise CH, CYA or anything else but Chlorine.

So go ahead and throw in 38 oz (a little more than a 32oz drink bottle) of the powder but remember that every time you add it, you are increasing your CH. I wouldn't add anymore once my CH got to about 350 max but that's just me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.