Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG newby questions

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG newby questions

I turned my SWG on yesterday for the first time this year. I had it installed at the end of last summer, so I'm not sure what to expect. Lights look good, only one is lit, "generating". A couple of questions:
    • When I first ran through the diagnostic displays, it all looked good. At that time the average salt was 3300 and the instant read was -3300. When I ran through the diagnostics a few hours later, the cell circuit was 0 and the instant read was -0. I unplugged the cell from the board, and plugged it back in. I immediately got a circuit read and an instant read. A few hours later, same thing, and again today -- it started this morning with circuit and instant reads, then went to 0 a few hours later. I unplugged and replugged and got readings. It's back to 0, and I am running it that way until I see what you all have to say. Am I really having trouble getting the plug in tight, or is something wrong?
    • Average salt level started at 3300, is now at 3700. My strip AquaTest strip test shows 2840. My optimum level per manual is 3200, so I aim for 3400 - 3600. Does the high read matter?

FC 7.5 (compensating for adding water due to leak, and I over shot)
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 190
    CYA 50
    Water temp is about 64 -- SWG read is 66
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG newby questions

It reads zero when not generating. The % setting is the amount of time it is generating. It cycles on and off.

As long as the SWG is happy with the salt reading, then no problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I mispoke in my question, sorry. It's not the cell circuit that is reading 0; it's the cell current, or amps, that is 0. Does that also show 0 when it is not generating?
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. Cell current is zero when the SWG is not generating.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I was hoping that was the answer!

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, from Hayward I found out that the Aquarite % setting is based on a 2 hour cycle. So if you have the output set at 50% and run it for 2 hours it will generate for 1 hour.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).