Draining pool...

gj78

May 11, 2014
phoenix, az
My circumstances require me to drain my pool, completely. In ground, plaster, 20 years old(as far as I know). I can't afford to repair or maintain a pool at this time, as it needs a complete upgrade.

So, sump pump is in and working. My question is, the current sludge in the pool...is it best to stir it up and hope it gets sucked out, or let it dry(as I am in AZ) and vacuum it out?

Thanks in advance, as every post I've read pertains to the pool being refilled and that is not the situation here. Oh, yes, per city code, no chemicals(i.e. chlorine) can't be added.

Welcome to TFP!

If you do indeed drain the pool, I would allow the "sludge" to dry out and remove it after it has dried.

Keep in mind that dry plaster does not do well in the summer in Arizona sunlight. You may well experience plaster damage unless you can provide a fair bit of shade to keep the plaster cooler than it will get in direct sunlight.

It is also important to make sure that the bottom of the pool is above the local water table, though I doubt that will be an issue in Phoenix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.