Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining pool...

My circumstances require me to drain my pool, completely. In ground, plaster, 20 years old(as far as I know). I can't afford to repair or maintain a pool at this time, as it needs a complete upgrade.

So, sump pump is in and working. My question is, the current sludge in the pool...is it best to stir it up and hope it gets sucked out, or let it dry(as I am in AZ) and vacuum it out?

Thanks in advance, as every post I've read pertains to the pool being refilled and that is not the situation here. Oh, yes, per city code, no chemicals(i.e. chlorine) can't be added.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining pool...

Welcome to TFP!

If you do indeed drain the pool, I would allow the "sludge" to dry out and remove it after it has dried.

Keep in mind that dry plaster does not do well in the summer in Arizona sunlight. You may well experience plaster damage unless you can provide a fair bit of shade to keep the plaster cooler than it will get in direct sunlight.

It is also important to make sure that the bottom of the pool is above the local water table, though I doubt that will be an issue in Phoenix.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd let the pump suck out as much as I could, and mop up whatever is left with old towels and throw them in the wash. Once stuff sticks to the plaster and dries there, it will harden like concrete. It won't vacuum up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

That was my thought(drying)...thanks for the input all.!

5. Back To Top    #5

Uh oh. Think I've got in over my head with this DIY project. More sludge then I thought. Wish me luck! Any additional suggestions are welcomed!