Just converted to salt water system

May 11, 2014
Corona, CA
I've just converted to salt water system. Before conversion, I drained the pool (concrete, in-ground) and did chlorine wash and cleaned the filters and filled with fresh water.
The manual of the chlorine generator (Breeze 540) says to maintain TA range of 80 ~ 100 PPM and pH range of 7.2 ~ 7.6, and the salt residual of 4,000 ~ 4,500 PPM.
My pool is approximately 20,000 gallons. I have added 360 lbs of pool salt (food quality) so far, although I need to add more.
I added the pool conditioner before I added the salt.
How many pounds of baking soda should I add to the pool for the start up? I guessed it about 30 ~ 40 lbs.
I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks is advance

Welcome to TFP!

You need to measure your starting levels before adding chemicals. With a fresh fill salt is likely to be fairly low but it won't be zero, while TA can vary all over the place depending on your region.

We don't recommend keeping PH that low, our recommendation is 7.6 to 7.8. Likewise our recommendation for TA is between 60 and 80.

Ignore the TA for now. What does the water look like? That CC is concerning and you likely need to SLAM.
And what is the pH?

Uh oh, where did your post go? I deleted one, wonder if another mod deleted the other?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you target was 7.5, then I also got 21oz ... but before the SLAM it is usually good to go lower, like 7.2 which would take 53 oz.

Does not have to be exact, after all is your volume exactly 20k? I would add about 1/3 of a gallon (eyeball it) and then measure after 30 minutes.

Thanks jblizzle,

Based on the salinity level (I added 120 lbs of pool salt when the salinity level was 3700, and it's 4400 now)
the assumption of my volume was a bit off. I think it's more like 20500 gallons.
My chlorine generator manual recommends between 4000 ~ 4500 ppm.

I have a gallon of liquid chlorine. How much should I add to the pool to raise FC up to 14 ppm after I set the pH at low 7s by adding 1/3 of a gallon of liquid acid (38%)?
(Pool math calculator does not seem to have a selection for liquid chlorine)

Thanks again in advance,

TFP recommends CYA between 70 ~ 80 for SWGs, while the manual of my chlorine generator recommends CYA between 30 ~ 60 and that it warns that the range over 60 ppm can lead to algae growth and other problems.
Is there a reason behind the higher CYA recommendation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.