Opened Yesterday, first results...

Swordfish

Bronze Supporter
Aug 21, 2013
Brighton, MI
Finally, after preparing for this since we bought the house last November, I get to post some numbers!

I expected a green pool since the home owners closed in September because they were moving and we could not take possession until late November. The pool is slightly green, but not as bad as I expected.

We got the filter running yesterday, but didn't get a chance to test until today. Last night I added a gallon of 12.5% bleach, I figured it couldn't hurt to get something in there since the SWG indicates low salt and the water temp is about 53F.

I think the pool is closer to 32k gallons but the owners said 36k. I'm using 36k for my calculations for now. So the gallon of bleach should have given me about 3.5 FC.

Results from this morning:

FC = .5
CC = .5
PH = 7.2
TA =90
CH = 50
CYA = 0
Salt = 2030

CYA surprises me because when the company closed the pool, they added all kinds of powder. I thought for sure that would have raised the CYA. I tested twice, but the liquid in the mix bottle is perfectly clear. I also figured salt would be low, but not that low. (Test strips purchased along with TF-100)

My plan is to target CYA of 30 and SLAM. I think it will be a fairly quick one since pool isnt in terrible shape. This next week is expected to be my busiest work week in the last year, so it will be a challenge. But you have to do it right, so I'll make it work.

Once SLAM is complete, I'll retest CYA in a week and target 80. I'll retest salt at that point... not too worried about it as I dont expect to use the SWG until the temp comes up and I have the cholrine stabilized. Then I'll migrate from liquid bleach over to the SWG with daily testing to get the % worked out.

What do you all think? How do you feel about my PH, should I mess with that at this point?

Thanks!

That sounds like a good plan.

You may or may not have some ammonia in the water. When CYA breaks own over the winter it often forms ammonia. Ammonia can off gas, but if it is still around it will use up chlorine very quickly at first. Regardless, SLAMing is the solution.

I think you have it figured out.

Get rid of the green. That's priority one. Your pH is good, the CYA can be dissolving while you're dumping jugs in there, and everything else is really easy to fix once the water is algae-free. Seriously. Once the water passes the 3 criteria to end the SLAM and the FC dips low enough to trust the pH test, everything else can be dialed in with one shopping trip and a few hours of adding stuff and letting it mix.

Going well! I lost about 3.5 fc all day today.. I overshot my fc so I'm still at shock level. That's pretty good with the sun and low cya. Will be curious what the reading is in the morning. Pool is clear and with a water temp of 58 I'm not battling much growth..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pool chemistry is good so far.

Cutting back on pump run time and still keeping a fc of 5.5 with my swg.. My cya is between 40 and 50. I'll bump it up a bit this weekend and let the fc fall a point or two. Ph has risen to 7.5 with the swg.. will keep an eye on it. TA is at 70.

Water is crystal clear even though the local grackles are dumping alot of poop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had some great night shots with my 1.4 lens, but I lost them during transfer. So this phone pic will have to do. She almost looks like she is floating above the water...
y9yterej.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.