New DE Filter - Start Up Questions

Apr 19, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I have an 18,000 gallon pool with spa and installed a new DE filter (Hayward DE6020) yesterday in place of my broken sand filter. When I first started up the filter before adding DE, the pressure was reading 15 psi and after adding 8 pounds of DE (the filter calls for 7.5 pounds) through the skimmer the pressure still reads 15 psi. Is this normal? I expected a pressure increase when I added the DE. I have been running the filter for 14 hours since adding the DE and the pressure is still at 15 psi. I expected an increase as the filter due to the initial clean of the water. How can I be sure the filter elements got coated with DE and everything is working correctly?

Not unusual for the pressure to not rise much after adding DE. If your water is clear, then the pressure should not rise quickly. If the DE stated in the filter, then assume it is coating the grids. I would not recommend using more than recommended. Also only use 80% after a backwash.

Thank you Jason. My water was very clear already and the DE stayed in the filter so I should be good. BTW, I didn't add more DE on purpose...it was just a measurement malfunction on my part. I guess I need to buy a more precise scale. Either way, I don't think the extra .5 pound should be a big deal.

It should be fine. Really does not need to be exact. Remember that yearly it is a good idea to break the filter down to clean it out. There is a sticky describing the process.

I'm sure things got coated well. My pressure doesn't go up when I coat the grids, and it can go months and months between cleanings. One year one time, last year twice, because we had some huge winds and dust storms. If you really want to reduce the load on your filter, stretch a knee-high nylon over your skimmer basket to catch a lot of stuff. I just flip it upside down and brush the stuff off into the composter. When the nylon starts tearing, I replace it.

I use a nylon over my skimmer basket all the time and only backwashed once last season. Might have gone the whole time but I did it anyhow. It was open for 5 months. Swim season isn't all that long here. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.