Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Low Salt

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Webster,Wi
    Posts
    58

    Low Salt

    Just starting to get the pool opened and cleaned, it has a very nice lime green tint right now. Last fall I drained half the water to just below the return and it frozen solid over winter which by the way was one for the ages. Anyway I have filled it up most of the way with no leaks and hooked up the pump and started circulating the water and added some bleach, my question is I know it is low on salt and the alarm did come on on the pump but will it hurt the cell to run with low salt? I will be getting to a store that sells pool salt on Wednesday.
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Smykowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)
    Posts
    3,065

    Re: Low Salt

    I don't know enough about SWG cells to know about running them while low on salt. However, you don't have to buy pool salt. You can buy solar salt from any big box store and it works the same.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: Low Salt

    The SWG won't produce as much chlorine when it is getting a low salt error, but assuming it doesn't completely shut down it will product some chlorine and will not damage it's self.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Webster,Wi
    Posts
    58

    Re: Low Salt

    We live an hour away from any big box store but the local gas station-convenince store sells the pelletized salt for sidewalks in the blue or yellow bags, is that something I could use?
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    205

    Re: Low Salt

    Quote Originally Posted by MK1985 View Post
    We live an hour away from any big box store but the local gas station-convenince store sells the pelletized salt for sidewalks in the blue or yellow bags, is that something I could use?
    I wouldn't trust the road salt without knowing what's in it. May not matter for an AGP, but you never know. Is there no way to turn off the salt cell?

    Probably safer to just add bleach for a few days until you can get some high-purity salt. That's what I would do.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Low Salt

    Quote Originally Posted by MK1985 View Post
    Just starting to get the pool opened and cleaned, it has a very nice lime green tint right now. Last fall I drained half the water to just below the return and it frozen solid over winter which by the way was one for the ages. Anyway I have filled it up most of the way with no leaks and hooked up the pump and started circulating the water and added some bleach, my question is I know it is low on salt and the alarm did come on on the pump but will it hurt the cell to run with low salt? I will be getting to a store that sells pool salt on Wednesday.
    Even with the right amount of salt, a SWG won't be able to generate enough Fc to kill off an algae bloom.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Webster,Wi
    Posts
    58

    Re: Low Salt

    I will check in the instructions to see if I can turn off the cell and then just add bleach until I get the salt. I was just concerned running it with low salt alarm that it could hurt the cell but it doesn't look like it would.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Even with the right amount of salt, a SWG won't be able to generate enough Fc to kill off an algae bloom.
    The bleach I added yesterday seemed to have helped, the green color is gone today and without doing a test I know I still might have problems but I was concerned about running with the low salt alarm.
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •