Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sanding plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Sanding plaster

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I wish I had joined earlier to avoid problems with my plaster. I have stains, scaling and a nasty crack on a corner. I'm going to replaster either later this summer or at the beginning of next year. I've gotten 12 years out of the original plaster and was fine until last year when I used too much and the wrong algaecide. I thought I might try to sand a few bad areas to buy some time and enjoy the upcoming holidays. Any tips on sanding would be much appreciated. Grit, hand vs power etc.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sanding plaster

Welcome to TFP! Sorry to hear of your troubles! Someone with more knowledge than I will be able to help you!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome
    Is your pool drained or full?
    I had some stains from acorns sitting on the bottom over the winter. I removed them with a stiff wire brush.
    Mark
    IG plaster, 22,000 gallon, Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yeah, let us know the status of the pool. My assumption is drained....at least partially.

That sanding will likely help the smoothness but perhaps increase the unsightliness. Try a little patch and see if it's worth it.

I have never done it before so cannot advise on technique but since you are going to replaster, I see no harm in the attempt.

mfederwi, as an aside, acorns stain can be handled with simple elevation of chlorine. It may take a while but they will go away. Nothing wrong with the steel brush but some extra chlorine is perhaps a bit easier albeit slower.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I spent the day draining and power washing the pool, and helping celebrate Mother's Day of course . Pool is almost drained. There is a small pond in the deep end I need a shallow pump to get out. I power washed everywhere else and tried some 80 grit on a hand sanding block. The scales and stain seem to come off fairly easy, surface is much smoother too. I think I'll try to sand it myself tomorrow. It's a big pool but I'm hoping to do it 4 hours and then fill it. My big question now is I have that crack I need to seal. I bought some silicone sealer but when I was about to put it on I noticed the product is not meant for submerged conditions. Any ideas on a good crack sealer that can hold up to water? The crack runs from the coping down into the pool about 12".

6. Back To Top    #6

Success on the sanding. Took a bit longer but with the help of a neighbor we did it in about 5 hours. Used hand block sanders and a drywall block sander on a pole. Easier than you think. Scaling is smooth now and stains look much better. Filling pool with a hose now.
    60' x 20' L-shape, 23K gal, NSW, IG Plaster, built spring 2002, 3 HP Inteliflo pump, Cartridge filter, gas heater, swim lane, volleyball net, Dolphin A30i robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Very nice work!

I also forgot to mention that's a great username!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Very nice work!

I also forgot to mention that's a great username!

Ha! It's one I use on the BMW and Adventure motorcycle forums. But I went college in Long Beach CA, not England .
    60' x 20' L-shape, 23K gal, NSW, IG Plaster, built spring 2002, 3 HP Inteliflo pump, Cartridge filter, gas heater, swim lane, volleyball net, Dolphin A30i robot.