Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low Alkalinity, Low PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Low Alkalinity, Low PH

Hi all, I'm new to the TFP method. This is only the second year of my owning an 18x34 Doughboy (approx. 20,000 gal). Had the pool store come out and open it this week since I wasn't sure how to handle the deep end drain pipe.

I was impressed with how clear the water was. Yesterday when i tested the water, the ph was low, and I mean really low like off the low end of the color charts low (all I have at the moment to test the water are 6 way test strips). All other indicators looked good. I had some left over ph increaser from last summer and added that to the pool yesterday.

After letting the pump run all night, I tested this morning and not only was the ph was still way low, but now it also looks like alkalinity has tanked as well.

I'm still waiting on my TF-100 test kit. Once I get my REAL test kit I will be able to post appropriate numbers but for now was hoping to just get the ph and alkalinity somewhere close to acceptable ranges. I was planning a trip to Costco to pick up copious amounts of baking soda.

As I understand it I may need to add upwards of 9 pounds of the stuff to right the pool, but I thought this sounded a bit much and was wondering if anyone else had suggestions on how to handle this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low Alkalinity, Low PH

Welcome to TFP, and congratulations on taking the proper first steps to manage your pool.

Since you have a vinyl pool, the urgency to add something to bump up the pH and TA is not as great. My advice is not add a bunch of stuff until you really know what's going on. Those strips may be very wrong, especially if your pH and TA changed to something lower after adding the pH increaser.

Please add your pool details to your sig line. This will allow us to help you much better, and much more quickly. If I may suggest, spend some time in Pool School, and begin with the ABC's. You can click the links in my Sig line for that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

^^Agree. In the meantime, can you put all of your pool info in your signature? It will help us at a glace know what you've got.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I'm still waiting on my TF-100 test kit
    Please PM me if you ordered the kit prior to Thursday, 5/8.14
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School