Low water level after winter close. . .

Whatrymes

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2011
E. Bridgewater, MA
Hey;

We're about to remove the pool cover after a tough winter on our above ground pool. Haven't found the cause yet, but it's obvious that the water level dropped way down over the winter. I have 2 questions pertinent to this:

How low can water go down before the liner is considered damaged?

Is there a way I can tell that it's no good before I fill the pool up once again?

Thank you.

Ed

If thee is at least a foot of water remaining in the pool, you should be OK. Carefully check along the current waterline for any holes, rips, tears, etc. Now would be a good time to patch them if possible, if the hole(s) aren't to big. This may mean getting into a rather cold pool to do the inspection.

Good luck!

SORRY - MISSED THE ABOVE GROUND PART ... my answer doesn't apply (i think anyway) and i couldn't delete this post.

Hey;

We're about to remove the pool cover after a tough winter on our above ground pool. Haven't found the cause yet, but it's obvious that the water level dropped way down over the winter. I have 2 questions pertinent to this:

How low can water go down before the liner is considered damaged?

Is there a way I can tell that it's no good before I fill the pool up once again?

Thank you.

Ed

I had the same issue (upstate ny) and i have seen another post or two about it. My pool lost a foot at least and the liner was floating off the walls and a little portion of the shallow end. I was able to refill the pool and try and get the liner back in place with the pool brush and my liner is back in place with just a couple of wrinkles in the shallow end. After filling it back up i don't appear to be losing any more water.

One of the guys on here is a full time pool guy an hour or so away from me and he mentioned it could have been from the hydrostatic relief valve opening and then not closing properly right away and eventually working its' way shut. He has seen that before and some pools actually lose all of their water!

Thanks guys;

So, the cover is off and there's 'bout 20 - 24" of crystal clear water on the bottom. I feel the liner is fine but I'm going to need to investigate this problem. I have difficulty with the water level and trying to remove water from the top of the cover without draining the pool, seems like every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.