Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 turnoffs for potential homebuyers

1. Back To Top    #1

10 turnoffs for potential homebuyers

Just saw this photo gallery article on Yahoo! Homes where the #6 turnoff for home buyers is an above-ground pool and the #7 turnoff is an in-ground pool. They caveat that in-ground may be OK in areas where such pools are common such as in hot climates, but this article says that one of the main concerns is seeing a backyard pool as a huge maintenance issue. Of course, we know that it doesn't have to be that way.

In our neighborhood, around 60% of the homes have pools, mostly in-ground. Based on sales comps, it looks like the homes with pools are valued on average around $50,000 higher than those without. Obviously this will depend on the neighborhood, but that article is making a blanket statement that clearly is not true everywhere. We're in northern California and not in the hottest part (we're near the Bay) and while we have nice summers, it's not like southern California, Arizona, south Texas or south Florida.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 10 turnoffs for potential homebuyers

That is interesting, looking at google maps overhead images and real estate listing around here, I am somewhat surprised how uncommon pools are in this part of Louisiana (about 100 miles inland from the coast). The population of the area was relatively stagnant for most of the last 40 years, but in the last 5 to 10 years there has been an ever increasing growth of new home construction.

A quick imagery survey of middle class neigborhoods in the nearest town of about 10,0000 -12,0000 people shows

There are very few pools in the newest housing developments, many built in small cul-de-sac streets of 10-30 homes tucked in on bits of previously open land between existing development, these homes have mostly been built in the last 5 to 8 years, with lot sizes typically under .5 acres, some as small as .25 acre. (a survey of about 100 or so of these homes, many yet to have well established grass in the yards, showed only 3 pools, all appeared to be round above ground pools)

By comparison another area of about 200 middle class homes primarily built from the mid 1980's through about 2000 on .5 - .75 acre lots shows 26 apparently in ground pools, and 3 above ground pools, and another area of slightly more affluent homes built in the same general time (maybe a littler newer, say 1990 - 2005) shows 21 inground and 1 above ground pool out of about 80 homes.

In contrast looking at neighborhoods of homes middle class and lower middle class homes built primarily in the 1970's - 1980's shows only 4 inground and 1 above ground out of 80 middle class homes, and a subdivision with about 350 lower middle class homes initially built in the 1970's, and filled in with about 100 new construction homes over the last 5-10 years shows 5 in ground pools all in the 1970's construction homes and 17 above ground, the above grounds are about an equal split between the 1970's homes and the post 2005 homes. In fairness many of the houses in the older part of this subdivision are now rental properties.

No areas the town show any neighborhoods approaching Chem Geek's 60% number and only a few of the more upper middle class or historically upper middle class areas approach 40% in isolated spots. There are also very few pools of any type in the older pre 1960's or currently lower class neighborhoods, with about the only exception being areas that were previously 1970's middle class construction that have declined significantly.

As a side note my step father had the first privately built pool in this town (18x36 plaster pool) built in 1964 for physical therapy reasons for my step sister, sadly it was filled in about 10 years ago, I learned to swim in that pool as a small child. Somewhat needless to say she became very popular at school after that as the only alternative were the couple of public pools and this was the era of the early years of desegregation in the south, and racial tensions were high.
    Last edited by Isaac-1; 05-11-2014 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

That is just silly. Sorry, but there just isn't much more to say about it. More true with AG, but lot's of people would love a pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

^^^^^ What he said.

the unfortunate truth bout that is most will be "pool stored" before finding us or one of the other forums that promote the TFPC/BBB method of pool care.

I haven't yet, but I want to print out a bunch of the TPC business cards, and distribute them to as many pool owners here in my town as I can find. Would that be something we could all do? Or would that not be a good idea?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've had ideas that are similar, but the problem is that TFPC only works for people who are ready to embrace it. It's almost like someone has to be in the process of "finding a better way" when they stumble across the forum and have their epiphany.

If you try to talk to someone about it who isn't ready to listen, you the response will be either 1. argumentative, or 2. a thousand-yard stare.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a situation with 2 of my co-workers. One had a pool years ago and you couldn't give her one today. The other one just built a pool. The one who used to have a pool is has strong opinions about many things, the impossibility of someone caring for their own pool is one of them. She has been telling our other co-worker to hire a pool service and let them take care of it. I have tried explaining to both of them how easy it can be to care for a pool. She won't hear it. I have to talk to the one with the new pool about TFP when our other co-worker is not around or else I'll never get another word in edgewise. I only talk to the new pool owner about her pool care when she brings it up. I've given her the website info and she knows she can come to me with questions. Right now she is still in the start up phase and the builder is handling it. Her hubby is leaning toward a pool service at this point. I figure if I can at least get her to use a test kit and monitor the pool service I can get her on the right path eventually.

When I was house hunting a few years ago the average inground pool didn't add much if any value to the house unless it was a really fancy, resort like set up. The ratio of wanting/not wanting a pool was around 50/50 at that time.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

We were actually going to move for one reason that being a pool. It was cheaper to buy a new home with one already installed than building one. After finding 5 different homes they all had issues with the pools. The majority was poor construction leading to repairs. That being said we stayed put, bit the bullet and are installing our own with a close eye on it.
    You may not recoup all of your cost selling but it will give a much better appraisal and here a listing with a good pool sells quickly.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

8. Back To Top    #8

We had an appraisal done recently and they said the pool lower the value by about $20,000. Even if a pool is an advantage to some people, most people in this area do not want one, and that make the pool of potential buyer smaller, which in turn lowers the value of the house.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Realtors are almost as bad as Lawyers for wanting to put their own spin on things.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I put up my AGP for us-------not the next guy!~
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I haven't yet, but I want to print out a bunch of the TPC business cards
    That possibility was discussed and generally thought to be a good idea among the moderators. Somehow, implementation slipped through the cracks.

That is on my TO DO list for Monday AM....stay tuned.

EDIT - 5/15 http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Business-Cards
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

We have business card templates you can print yourself here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

mac1775, you have a good point, a neglected pool in need of renovation at an otherwise nice house is a detractor, but more to the point if I were house shopping I know I would prefer to buy one with a pool, but only if it were the right pool therefore I could very much see buying a house without a pool and adding one even if it were more expensive.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

I joked that when I bought this place I bought a pool and a yard with trees and this house happened to have come with it. I live in a town without a swim club. The "country club" (really a golf club) does not have a pool. There is no public pool. My very unscientific take on my area pools are not reserved for the "big" houses, but can pretty easily be found in the yards of houses that are 1500 to 1800 square feet. While they may not add much value to a home here, I think they make them sell quicker. I wouldn't even look at houses without a pool. Friends of mine are house shopping and trying to hold out for a house with a pool. I wouldn't expect to get the $$$ back for a build, but I think my house would sell quicker and for a bit more than a house without a pool in my area.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

15. Back To Top    #15

So either visitors are lying when they say "Oh I love your pool and the deck I wish we had this at our house" or they truly mean it. I know you all have heard the same comments. Before we got our pool when we visited a home and they had an in ground or above ground pool guess what we said? You know "Oh I love your pool" and of course my wife would drive me crazy for the next couple of months about getting a pool. My only regret is not getting a pool sooner.

One more comment. I flew to Houston, TX a year ago and I was totally amazed at how many IG and AG pool I saw before landing at the airport.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

16. Back To Top    #16

If I were house hunting, there better be an in ground pool in the prospective new yard OR it better be flat and big enough for me to put an in ground pool in the yard! I need a pool. It is a must have for me or I'm miserable in the summer.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

No doubt about it. None.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Realtors are almost as bad as Lawyers for wanting to put their own spin on things.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

As a wife of a real estate appraiser I can say the thinking that building a pool ads to your homes "appraised" value is entirely incorrect. It may be true in certain geographic areas in the south, but don't go into a build believing that if you think you may be selling sooner than later.

That appraised value of your home is based on comparable sales within a recent radius of your home within a given time frame. The comparables need to be JUST that. The appraiser needs to find homes within the closest possible range of things like sq feet, garage, work shop, pool.....etc. when an exact match isn't found (never really is) the appraiser makes adjustments either up or down to account for features. If pools are common where you are and therefore comparable sales with pools are common....no adjustment. It is all then broken down essentially of price per sq ft of recent sales in your area.

I digress

A good example would be our build. Home purchased in 4/2004. 30k sunk into a pool build in 2011. That is probably what the average pool build for a medium vinyl pool is in our area (to go all out and get gunite or something would have been stupid for us). When we did it my husband warned me never to expect a return on the build and to know that we were doing this for us. He got proven right. We refinanced from a 30 to a 15 yr mortgage when rates were low in 2011 (lowered payment with that too ?? Crazy). For the refi, our home appraised for exactly what we paid for it 7.5 years prior.

But it all depends on where you live. And if TFP keeps growing there just might be an increased demand for pools as people stop getting pool stored.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

19. Back To Top    #19

I read that article and laughed. That's crazy talk right there. I'm in New England. If there's ever a crazy place to put an inground pool is, it's here. You really only get 4 good months a year. But when you look at my neighborhood alone, of 26 houses, there are 10 in ground pools and 4 above grounds. One of the houses with in ground sold, BECAUSE of the pool. The new buyers were thrilled to have it there and waiting. I can tell you one thing, our town feels it increases value. of course they do. Two of my neighbors that did in grounds in the past couple of years had their assessments go up by $20k.

It's like anything though - I do stuff to my house for me. Not the next guy as was mentioned. I plan on being here at least 10 more years. When you take what I spent and figure it out annually, it's a bargain in terms of enjoyment gained. I admit I was a bit petrified about taking care of it, but with finding this site, it's a piece of cake so far.

I can't tell you how many articles I read on the web where I just shake my head in disbelief. Half the time I can't even believe it was work the digital space to have it even posted.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

20. Back To Top    #20

I work as a mortgage underwriter and speak with appraisers on a regular basis. One time I was asking a very well respected appraiser about the ramifications of value on an improvement I wanted to do to my house (not a pool). He told me that unless I was planning on selling the house anytime soon, that I should do the improvement for my enjoyment...that I have to make myself happy and not worry about someone in the future.
    Cincinnati, OH. 7th year of AG 24' pool -- 4th year using BBB method.
    24'x52" AGP. Sand filter & automatic chlorinator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast