Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: Jandy LXi heater has no power...

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Jandy LXi heater has no power...

Couldn’t find the way to create my own post so replying to this one as it has similar problem.

I need help with my Jandy LXi Pool Heater troubleshooting. I have it for 3 years and it worked fine until in the end of last summer it suddenly stopped lighting up. No power whatsoever. I followed directions in the manual and quickly found that there is no power passed Power Circuit Board. There were burn marks on the board, so it was clearly burned. I measured the voltage incoming to the board it showed me about 260V that is within the range (204-264V). I bought a new board and installed it just now. As soon as I tuned on the power the new board burned down.

Can someone advise on what to do next? There is probably a shortage somewhere, but how would I find it? The troubleshooting instructions in the manual are for finding power loss, but do not help finding shortage.
    Thanks for help.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Is your unit supposed to be setup for 240?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, it is setup for 240V as well as Power Circuit Board.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

So is the fuse on the board not blowing? You should have only 24V going to the board as the transformer steps down the 240 to 24V.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Paul, for your response and sorry for the confusion. The board that burned out is the very first one - Power Distribution Board (also called in the manual as power supply circuit board). Please see this "LXi Troubleshooting Guide - Serial Number G11LB0001 or newer", page 6): http://www.victormfg.com/_build/docs...tingGuides.pdf

The fuse is further down after transformer and it is fine. My guess is that shortage is somewhere right after PDB either in Transformer or in Blower. Visual inspection did not show anything. Looking forward to your advice.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Garik2 View Post
    Thanks, Paul, for your response and sorry for the confusion. The board that burned out is the very first one - Power Distribution Board (also called in the manual as power supply circuit board). Please see this "LXi Troubleshooting Guide - Serial Number G11LB0001 or newer", page 6): http://www.victormfg.com/_build/docs...tingGuides.pdf

The fuse is further down after transformer and it is fine. My guess is that shortage is somewhere right after PDB either in Transformer or in Blower. Visual inspection did not show anything. Looking forward to your advice.
    Has this issue ever been resolved? I also have a burnt Power Distribution Board on a 240 V Jandy LXi 400P Heater. (I did not have the correct voltage between the Black (E) and Blue (F) wires.) I would hate to replace the board, only to have it burn out again due to a short somewhere. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Can you verify your line to line voltage and your line to ground voltages?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    Can you verify your line to line voltage and your line to ground voltages?
    Yes, coming into the Power Distribution Board, the voltage between Black (C) and Red(B) is 240 v, and the line to ground is 120 v (both lines).

9. Back To Top    #9

I took the 240/24 vac transformer out today, and checked it. When I put 240 vac across the black and blue wires, there was a brief flash, and no 24 vac on the secondary leads. I am assuming, at this time, that there is a short on the 240 v size of the transformer, which caused the Power Distribution Board to burn out. See photo, where the strip on the Board to the blue wire (lead to the transformer) has burnt.IMG_1234 - Copy.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

I talked to Jandy a while back. They said it was the transformer. I just replaced the transformer and the power distribution board today and I have heat.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, thanks Pmclaughlin. I also replaced the transformer and Power Dist Board last week, and I have heat as well. Jandy thinks I probably had a power surge ( like lightning) that caused the problem.