WhisperFlo 2 Speed vs SuperFlo vs Superflo VS

IanB13

May 21, 2013
Hello All, have been lurking and learning as I look to replace my 1 1/2 (1.95 HPSF) Single Spped Speck Pump. By the way it sounds, I'm guessing I'm inside a month before it goes Tango Uniform and dies. Through reading and some advice, looking to replace with either Whisperflo WFDS-26 for $587 (1.65 HPSF), Superflo SF-N2 1 1/2 for $440 (1.65 HPSF), or the SuperFlo VS for $695 (1.65 HPSF). All will require me running 230v to the pad; additionally the Whisperflow must have a digital timer, SF could use a timer, and VS doesn't need one at all (about another $200 + install). I have 2" pipes.

Pure $-wise, the SuperFlo VS seems like a no brainer over the long term, but don't know if it will have the push to run my pool cleaner or waterfall.

What is the real difference between WF and SF? Will the VS cut it? Any thoughts appreciated.

12,700 gal inground
1 1/2 HP Speck
Pentar FNS 48
Polaris 360
Waterfall

Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions.

First, I wouldn't even consider a single speed. A two speed pump is always a better choice.

Another thing to understand is that the WhisperFlo is a larger pump than a SuperFlo. Even an up rated 1.5 HP WhisperFlo is a larger pump than a full rated 1.5 HP SuperFlo. Larger pumps more more water, but are less energy efficient.

Another important question is how your waterfall performs right now, and how happy you will be with less total water movement available to drive the waterfall. In calculating this, it would help to know which specific model of Speck pump you currently have.

And finally, your electrical rates figure into things quite a bit. Higher electrical rates make the small efficiency improvement from a variable speed compared to a two speed pay back the larger initial investment more quickly.

I agree about single speed, both pumps are DS, and of course the VS. The Speck Pump I have now is out of production, but is most like the 433-IV. My waterfall works fine, and in truth I usually set the diverter valves at about 75% return/25% waterfall when I have the waterfall running anyway. My electrical rates are $.09/kwh.
The initial investment on the WF Dual Speed vs the SF VS is about the same considering I don't need a new timer for the SF VS.

I'm leaning towards the WF DS, but using the cost comparing spread sheet, the VS is about $5.50/mo cheaper to run. Just not sure about the flow. At my glance, considering if I go with the WF I'll need to install a timer, making the initial investment about $90 more for the WF, and then pay another $5.50/mo vs the SF VS. Is the WF DS a better pump? Quieter?

The WhisperFlo and SuperFlo are very similar except that WhisperFlo is about two sizes larger for the same specified HP. That is assuming you are looking at the energy efficient versions of each. The SuperFlo is often sold in a conventional motor version, which is about 10% less efficient while moving the same amount of water as the energy efficient version. The WhisperFlo also has some standard efficiency versions, but you don't see them in the market nearly as much.

The WFDS-26 is actually a little larger than the Speck 433-IV. The WFDS-24 is a closer match and runs on 115 volts, which might simplify your install. The Superflo VS is a very similar size to the WFDS-24 and Speck 433-IV, when run at max speed, though 230 volts.

I am assuming you already have a timer, and are talking about a new timer for the WF because you need the speed to be controlled by the timer as well as turning the pump on/off.

If you are using the Pentair spreadsheet, it is a bit optimistic about the energy savings. Plus I've seen the WFDS-24 for around $450. Still, once you add a dual speed timer that does come out fairly close to a SuperFlo VS. So even at a smaller electric savings and fairly low electric rates, the VS will pay for it's self quickly enough to be worth it.

Thanks much for your input. I do have a mechanical timer, but seems I need the electronic timer to take advantage of the 2-speed motor.

I found a good deal on the WFDS-26, about $530. The Speck Pump I have has a HPSF of 1.95, so I'll now be just below that at 1.65, but with a 2 speed motor. Wiring for 230 is going to be extra, as is the timer, but will pay off in the long run, I think. I decided against the Superflo VS as I've read some concerns with the LCD screen going bad long before the pump itself.

More to follow after the install on Wednesday (I hope).

You do not need a new timer to take advantage of a 2 speed motor. Many people (such as me) use a mechanical timer to only turn the pump on and off, and not to change the speeds. They then have a switch to change from low to high speed. The pump is normally left on low unless a higher flow rate is desired for things such as vacuuming. My switch is a SPDT toggle switch mounted in the timer box. Some people mount a toggle switch at the motor. Others use a three way light switch mounted somewhere between the timer and the motor.

If you want the speeds changed automatically on a fixed time schedule, then you would need a new timer.

sergeant, IanB13 has a pool cleaner that runs off of the main pump. The pool cleaner is probably only going to work on high speed. In that situation you want a timer that can automatically run on high for a time and then switch to a lower speed to save electricity for the rest of the run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.