This One's New to Me

Yesterday after work I vacuumed to waste and got all the dead algae that had collected on the bottom for the shallow end and as far down the slope as I could see (deep end was still cloudy). Then I added bleach and DE and turned the filter on. Right before bed I checked the FC and it was at 24. This morning the water was almost clear, just a bit of cloudiness in the deep end but not much AND the FC was at 23. So I'm guessing I've killed almost all the algae and I need to get my levels correct.

So my question is, what's the order of operations for adding chemicals? Is there a stickie on here anywhere that tells you which to add first and how to add it (i.e. broadcast in deep end, through skimmer, etc.) as well as if there's any wait time between chemicals? I looked in pool school and didn't find anything like that (hint hint - that would be a good topic). I'm guessing I'm going to have to modify pretty much all my levels but hopefully not.

Also, now that I'm on my way out of the SLAM process (I'll perform an OCLT tonight/tomorrow morning) do I need to wait until I pass the OCLT before I start balancing my chemicals? Do I need to wait until the FC level gets back into a normal range? I can at least test for and add salt now, right?

Thanks guys, this site is awesome....

I checked the chemicals last night and amazingly the only things I need to modify to get into my ideal ranges are CYA (currently 30) and salt (was 1460 but I added 240 lbs of salt last night). I almost passed OCLT this morning (dropped from 10 to 8 overnight with a CC of 0.5) so I'll try again tonight and hopefully be in the clear. The water is looking clear so I'm thinking I'm just about there.

I have one question though. I ran my Pentair Legend (think Polaris) last night and it didn't seem very mobile at all. It was barely moving and the wheels weren't spinning like they normally do. It seems like maybe I've lost pressure on my booster pump but I'm not sure how to tell. Is there any way to easily measure it? And if so, what is the normal operating range? I did notice that the booster pump seemed louder or a different pitch from what I remember but I can't say for sure.

It was late when I noticed it so I didn't really inspect it well to see if there were stripped gears or anything like that in the drivetrain but I'll try to take a look tonight if I get a chance.

And I doubt it matters but the tail blew off later (which may mean my pressure's good?). That's happened before.

Keep slamming, a 2ppm overnight loss is significant.

The Polaris sounds like a gear issue but if you disconnect the hose and feel with your hand if you have good pressure. Should be forceful. Your pump maybe failing.

Hold off on adjusting CYA until the SLAM is complete.

You're earlier question about adding chems - the order doesn't matter, but I'll mention a few hints.

Always, adjust PH first.
CYA will slightly lower PH because it is acidic. I mean slightly, depending on the amount you need to add. Check the "effects of adding pool chemicals" section of the PoolMath to see how much the addition will lower PH and TA.

Salt can be put anywhere, when doesn't matter, just make sure the cell is off while its being distributed. An area where you can brush easily like the shallow end would be a good spot.

We recommend all chemicals be slowly poured in front of the return jet. Brush the floor if any powders do not dissolve. Not referring to powdered pool store chemicals which I almost never recommend anyway. Broadcasting anything a silly notion if you ask me, but if you don't mind being coated in baking soda and borax you can broadcast to see what that's like. LOL

Passed the OCLT yesterday morning so I have a swim-ready pool. Thanks for the help.

As far as the pool cleaner goes, I took it out and re-attached the tail (which blew off) and checked all the gears. The plastic teeth look ok to me. THere are a handful of teeth where the inside of the teeth are broken off a little but it's only a small portion of the whole tooth and the metal gear goes all the way across the tooth so I don't think that's the problem. Well anyways, I put the cleaner back in and I must have scared it because now it's running normal again...go figure.

One issue that I do keep having with it though is the tail keeps getting stuck between one of the front wheels and the body of the cleaner. It started doing this last year and I'm not sure why. It seems to happen every couple of days. Any ideas why? Again it's a Pentair Legend Platinum. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.