Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm Tree Debate

1. Back To Top    #1

Palm Tree Debate

So we put in the pool and are doing the landscaping ourselves. We bought two pindo palms today that will be delivered and installed on 5/22, I'd like to put one on each side of the pool. Here's the debate - should we extend the existing beds or just plant them in the grass? One will be on the driveway side right past the scupper wall to hopefully help obscure the house behind us, the other will be on the fence side near where the red plants are for a eventually a little shade in the afternoon. Any thoughts?

Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Palm Tree Debate

I like your ideas for where to place the palms. The one where the red plants are totally makes sense. I think the one to block the house makes sense as well. Can I get a closer look at the area where the palms will go to answer your question about beds vs grass?

In ground, 15x27, 80 feet perimeter, 3'6 to 5 feet deep, 13,000 gallons, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy VSP, Jandy DE 60, Jandy LXI, Nature 2 Ozone, 2 pool LED lights, 1 Spa LED light pebble tech aqua blue. Frisco,
    Texas

In Ground 15X27 80 ft perimeter; 3'6 to 5' depth; 9600 gallons; 2 skimmers; 6 returns; Jandy VSP; 2 pool LED lights; 1 spa pool light; pebble tech aqua blue, North Texas build complete April 2014

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Tresiarth View Post
    I like your ideas for where to place the palms. The one where the red plants are totally makes sense. I think the one to block the house makes sense as well. Can I get a closer look at the area where the palms will go to answer your question about beds vs grass?

In ground, 15x27, 80 feet perimeter, 3'6 to 5 feet deep, 13,000 gallons, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy VSP, Jandy DE 60, Jandy LXI, Nature 2 Ozone, 2 pool LED lights, 1 Spa LED light pebble tech aqua blue. Frisco,
    Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here's a photo from the back side

Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

4. Back To Top    #4

I would extend the flower beds personally just to keep up with the clean and finished look. But that's just me. Pool looks good!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

If it were me, I would plant the palms in the beds as opposed to planting them in the grass - even if it means extending the beds. They are more protected that way. If you have a lawn service, I can almost guarantee that the would weed-wack around the trunk of the tree. Over the long term, that would eventually cause damage to the palms. They don't need any more stress considering that they are being planted in an area that is right on the cusp of their agricultural zone (from a cold-tolerance point of view).

Nice looking pool, BTW.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys - I think that's what we'll do, we debated it all afternoon while sitting in the pool! I was worried about the lawn guys myself. Guess I'll get more mulch!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes I vote for the beds as well. You could also get some rocks to accent the base of the palms as well if you wanted to

Texas

In Ground 15X27 80 ft perimeter; 3'6 to 5' depth; 9600 gallons; 2 skimmers; 6 returns; Jandy VSP; 2 pool LED lights; 1 spa pool light; pebble tech aqua blue, North Texas build complete April 2014

8. Back To Top    #8

I am looking forward to seeing your palms
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by 737mech View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing your palms
    Thanks - me too! Next Thursday is the scheduled date but knowing my luck at this point, we'll probably have monsoon rains!

10. Back To Top    #10

What size palms are you having delivered?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    What size palms are you having delivered?
    Woody - for the life of me I can't remember the gallon size but they were about 9 - 10 ft tall pindos.

12. Back To Top    #12

Mine was 7 feet tall and was in like a 47 gallon pot. BIG hole! 42" diameter for mine for a heads up to ya'.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Mine was 7 feet tall and was in like a 47 gallon pot. BIG hole! 42" diameter for mine for a heads up to ya'.
    Thanks Woody - but I'm paying them to plant them! No way I was going to try to dig a hole big enough through all this muck, clay and rock to plant them. It's will be worth every penny, I assure you!

14. Back To Top    #14

Oh wow... That's a big hole!!! It's definitely worth it then if it's rock and clay! Take pics!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Readyforapool View Post
    Thanks Woody - but I'm paying them to plant them! No way I was going to try to dig a hole big enough through all this muck, clay and rock to plant them. It's will be worth every penny, I assure you!
    Smart! Those small Japanese maples I planted were a pain in all this muck and clay. So I can't imagine planting anything huge like that

Texas

16. Back To Top    #16

Debate is over! They arrived right on time, planted the trees - even cut the sod and moved it to some of the bare spots we are still dealing with due to Mr. PB. Excuse the mess - getting a new roof put on as well!

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks awesome.
    22,000 gallon IG; plaster; 16x32 Rectangular, Depth 3.5-8Ft.
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter - 48sqft w/ cellulose fiber & Hayward Energy Flo RS Pump - .75HP (1.85SF)
    Very old 312sqft solar system, TFT-100 Kit with Speedstir

18. Back To Top    #18

It looks wonderful!! Love the trees!

Texas

19. Back To Top    #19

Very nice!
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy, they fertilized them and I watered them, dumped some mulch and watered a little more. He told me to fertilize them every four months. I asked if there was anything I should do when it gets colder....other than pray!! He laughed and said this past winter was really bad but wrapping them should help if it's a normal winter here they should be ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast