Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ran out of titrate reagent 0871

1. Back To Top    #1

ran out of titrate reagent 0871

I have some of the chemical on order, but I ran out in the middle of SLAM - so, I was going to grab a test kit from walmart (maybe my pool store if they have anything other than strips). So far, I haven't found any of the ones recommended, but I was thinking the hth 6-way test kit MIGHT be good enough to keep my chlorine levels right until my package arrives?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ran out of titrate reagent 0871

What did you run out of? Leslie's Pools carries DPD reagents, and they have stuff for DPD.

http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-dp...pd-reagent.htm

http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-r-...-0870-i-12.htm

Good luck on the SLAM
    Old: 50 gallon bathtub, white fiberglass. Single drain. Faucet and "rain" feature. Elbow grease cleaning system.
    New: 28x15', 11.5K Gunite, 480 sqft cartridge filter, Pebble Fina Grigio, Glow-in-the-dark accent tiles. 30' Negative Edge. Aquabot Turbo T-Jet Robot. 0 sq ft pool deck. TF-100. Tucson Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

There isn't really any good substitute for the FAS-DPD chlorine test. The Walmart kit is good for several of the tests, but not measuring FC levels.

There is a remote chance you can find R-0871 at a pool store, but Walmart won't have it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

0871 is the fas dpd titrate for the chlorine test. You have a good chance of finding it locally if you call around to pool stores that cater to comercial accts (ran out once myself)
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't be too surprised if the pool store employees have no idea what you are talking about. Don't ask for the FAS-DPD reagent as they will likely think it is the same as the DPD reagents. Ask for it by number.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Your experience is not unusual. Start at post 13 in this thread here... My reply in there should help. It's not a very good workaround, but it will keep you from losing ground until you can resume the testing properly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Another option is to dilute and scale.

Using the OTO test, try this.

In a jar, Mix 1 oz of pool water with 3 oz of tap (bottled, distilled) water. This will reduce the concentration of chlorine by a factor of 4.

Use that mixed water to fill up your OTO tubes and test as normal.

Then, multiple the number you get by 4. Thus, if you get around 3, your FC is 12 (plus or minus)

If it is still "off scale", you can mix 1 oz pool water for 9 oz tap water and multiple by 10.

I've tried this a few times when I didn't want to use up 30+ drops of reagent each time I tested during a SLAM. It seemed to be consistent with the full test.
    Old: 50 gallon bathtub, white fiberglass. Single drain. Faucet and "rain" feature. Elbow grease cleaning system.
    New: 28x15', 11.5K Gunite, 480 sqft cartridge filter, Pebble Fina Grigio, Glow-in-the-dark accent tiles. 30' Negative Edge. Aquabot Turbo T-Jet Robot. 0 sq ft pool deck. TF-100. Tucson Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Theep View Post
    Another option is to dilute and scale.

Using the OTO test, try this.

In a jar, Mix 1 oz of pool water with 3 oz of tap (bottled, distilled) water. This will reduce the concentration of chlorine by a factor of 4.

Use that mixed water to fill up your OTO tubes and test as normal.

Then, multiple the number you get by 4. Thus, if you get around 3, your FC is 12 (plus or minus)

If it is still "off scale", you can mix 1 oz pool water for 9 oz tap water and multiple by 10.

I've tried this a few times when I didn't want to use up 30+ drops of reagent each time I tested during a SLAM. It seemed to be consistent with the full test.
    I'm sorry, but using tap water is not a good idea. It could have Chlorine in it already and interfere with the test.

Also, the FC/TC test is one that is most affected by dilution where accuracy will suffer. If you want to save reagent for this test, a better option is to just reduce the sample size to 5mL. Dilution can be an "ok" option for other tests, but not so much for Chlorine, FC especially.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I'm with brushpup. The more you modify and alter these tests, the more you screw up the precision you need to get valid results.

I consider the OTO test at full strength to be "coarse". When you dilute it once (1:1) it becomes even worse. I would have absolutely no faith in the results of a 3:1 dilution and would far prefer to wait until I could perform an FAS/DPD chlorine test instead of the WAG ( wild *** guess) a 3:1 OTO test gives you.

Reading between the lines, you can see I have an agenda in that I sell the refills. I promise I would post the same info if I had nothing to do with them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I just kept adding about the same amount I had been adding every few hours . . . and crossed my fingers. NONE of the pool stores around here or in the neighboring town had - although one of them knew what I was talking about and why, so that was impressive.

The R-0871 arrived by US mail yesterday, so we are back on track (and the numbers were still in shock level). Thanks for the ideas. Next time I will remember to go ahead and buy all the chemicals BEFORE I SLAM even if I think I have plenty
    North Alabama - halfway between Huntsville and Birmingham.
    33 AG; 25000 gallons; installed in 2012
    Pump: Hayward Power Flow LX SP-151521BC; HP 1.5; SPL 70 GPM
    Filter: Hayward Dream Line Highrate Sand Filter Model S23OXSC

11. Back To Top    #11

Good! How does the water look?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!