First timer

Jul 5, 2011
Oakland, TN
New to all this and a former permasalt owner trying to switch to tfp.
Was green swamp and have been slamming for about two weeks now.
Water is currently milk turquoise color
What should my next step be? Keep slamming?
Tia

Current readings
Fc 0.04
Tc 0.04
Ph 7.9
Hardness 8 ppm
Ak 69
Cya 1
Copper 0.1
Iron 0
Borate 4

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you testing the water? It is not possible to have numbers to 2 decimal places like that with the Recommended Test Kits.
Those look like bogus pool store results, which are not going to be good enough.

I am not sure you fully understand what "slamming" means since clearly your FC is WAY too low. Please review Pool School and the SLAM Process and ask questions as they come up.

Yes they are from the pool store until my Taylor kit comes in. I've dumped about 8 gallons of bleach in over past two weeks. I def need to reread the slam instructions.

24 ft AG round
Former Perma-Salt system (trying to switch)
1.5 HP Eco-Kleer pump

How are you testing your water? It is highly recommended that you get a good test kit and test your own water (see link to TF-100 in my signature)Those results look suspect....a CYA number of 1???? And total chlorine of .04? Is that a typo?

If you are SLAMing your pool, you need to get your CL to your target level and then keep it there until you pass the three tests:

Clear water
Pass OCLT
<.5 CC

- - - Updated - - -

Jblizzle and I must have been typing at the same time and Jblizzle beat me to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Jblizzle and I must have been typing at the same time and he beat me to it. Sorry.

Welcome! :wave:

Good for you, ditching the patented-exclusive-miracle-whatever system and ordering a test kit! You're going to be astounded at how really easy it is to maintain proper pool chemistry.

Memorial Day might be pushing it, but certainly by the first weekend in June you can have a clear sparkling pool that will stay that way the rest of the summer.

Thanks all, I thought maybe I could use the pool store test results until my own test kit came in but that sounds like a bad idea?

24 ft AG round
Former Perma-Salt system (trying to switch)
1.5 HP Eco-Kleer pump
Very bad idea. If you read the directions to perform a SLAM, you'll see that you need to test the FC levels multiple times a day. That's impractical to do by going to the pool store.

Finally got my Taylor K-2006 kit in and here are my readings from this morning. Only had time to test the 3 below before I had to go to work.
FC 0.4
CC 0.4
CYA - The black dot never went away so I am guessing it is way way low. I think I did the test correctly.

What should my next step be? Should it be to add stabilizer to raise CYA so the CYA/Chlorine combo is acceptable? Or just keep shocking based of the Pool Math calcs? I will say thanks to this forum I can at least see the bottom of my pool now vs the green swamp 3 weeks ago.

24X52 AG Round
1.5 HP Eco-Kleer pump with Sand filter
Taylor K-2006
Former Perma-Salt system

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've gone through SLAM and a few others. So much info out there and I'm sure I need I re-read SLAM again. I didn't see in the SLAM article where it indicated if I had low CYA level to keep slamming or bring CYA first then SLAM. Thanks all for the great info and patience with a newbie

24x52 AG, sand filter
1.5 HP Eco-Kleer pump

Update after slamming last night:
FC 10.4
CC 1.2
PH 7.6
The CYA I added about 2-3 days ago is taking forever to dissolve. Still a whole bunch in the sock. I stuck it in the skimmer basket to see if it would speed things up. The water was getting clear but after adding the CYA and slamming its cloudy again. I still have some debris and algae to vacuum up but waiting on that since instructions on bottle say I should not backwash for 48 hours after adding CYA. Ive been squeezing the sock periodically as well. How long after the CYA is applied for it to start clearing up again? Can I go ahead and vacuum and backwash if not all the CYA is dissolved?

Update after slamming last night:
FC 10.4
CC 1.2
PH 7.6
The CYA I added about 2-3 days ago is taking forever to dissolve. Still a whole bunch in the sock. I stuck it in the skimmer basket to see if it would speed things up. The water was getting clear but after adding the CYA and slamming its cloudy again. I still have some debris and algae to vacuum up but waiting on that since instructions on bottle say I should not backwash for 48 hours after adding CYA. Ive been squeezing the sock periodically as well. How long after the CYA is applied for it to start clearing up again? Can I go ahead and vacuum and backwash if not all the CYA is dissolved?
You can backwash. That's why we say use a sock. They would have you pour it in the skimmer where it would settle in the filter to dissolve, and backwashing would flush it all out. You'll lose a little bit, just from what's dissolved in the water already, but probably not enough to even measure.

pejubyde.jpg
re8y7yde.jpg

Just wanted to give an update with some pics thanks to tfp I've successfully switched to chlorine from permasalt and I must say it is just as easy if not easier. It took about a month of slamming seems like if not longer w some setbacks with vacation and all but steady and persistent works every time.
Yesterday's levels were
Fc 3
Ph 8
Cc 0
Cya 40

I took the oppty with the high ph to add some borates and added a gallon on muriatic acid along with a box of 20 mule borax because I still have a problem w water bugs. Anyways thanks to everyone here for my truly trouble free pool!

PS due to my newfound pool knowledge and my big mouth I have been tasked with taking over my mother in law's 25000 gallon IG pool. I'll start and new thread w lots of pics of the mess she has and she pays 75-100 a week for a pool guy.

24x52 ABG / 19" 100 # sand filter /
1.5 HP Eco-kleer pump / Taylor K-2006 test kit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.