Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not sure if this is the right place.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Not sure if this is the right place.....

My IG gunite pool has gray marks in several place, the worst being in the spa. You can't feel anything if you touch them, but they are unsightly. I've attached a picture....any thoughts on what this is and how to get rid of would be appreciated.

Cindy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not sure if this is the right place.....

Wow. I'm not sure.....

Someone will be along tho.

I've seen it suggested to rub a crushed vitamin c tablet on the stain and if it fades, the stains are metal. Also with a chlorine puck, let it sit on the stain and if it fades, the stain is organic.

Hopefully if there is another suggestion for you someone will chime in.....

Welcome to TFP!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I have something similar happening in my pool, figure an acid wash during the winter is due.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same thing on my steps. After reading one of the posts about the vitamin C tab, I found some and rubbed on some places and just let the others dissolve. I was amazed at how the area that I just let it dissolve became brighter and no more streaks. So... I am going to do the ascorbic acid treatment I read on another thread (getting rid of pool stains). Hope that it gets better.
    Scott
    1) 24000 gal
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) plaster
    5) 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

czechscott
    Where did you find info on ascorbic acid treatment? Could you please refer me to that post?
    I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

6. Back To Top    #6

5600 Gal.
    18'x48" Easy Set
    1500 GPH Pump/Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I'll check it out.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to all for your suggestions...I'm on my way next door to borrow a vit c tab. I also posted this in the Algae part of the forum just to make sure its not algae, but this sounds like a consensus here...I'll try the vit c and then the AA.

Thanks again!
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011