New Liner

I just put in a new liner for an 8400 gallon above ground pool (52inches,18 round). Filled it over night and added one gallon of liquid shock 2 hours ago. Tested chlorine and ph levels and both are way high. Is it normal for PH to be so high.? Been maintaining a pool for 5 years, never saw such a high PH reading.
Thanks

Welcome Theresa 22. Since you added a gallon of chlorine (%?) and then tested the pH, of course it's going to be high if you're chlorine is over 10ppm. Anything over 10ppm chlorine will read a false positive. But anyways... I have to ask if you added any CYA/Stabilizer/Conditioner to protect your chlorine from the sun? If not, we highly advise against dumping a lot of chlorine in an unstabilized pool. You could bleach out your liner and since you have a brand new one, you should take good care of it!

Have you thought about a reliable test kit and reading Pool School? So much good information in Pool School to get you started down the right track of taking charge of your pool and maintenance. :goodjob: If you have any questions, just ask! Hope you'll get started on your homework and read pool school several times, as each time, it makes a lot more sense than the last! :D

Hi Casey, Thanks for responding.
I bought stabilizer last night to add to the pool. My chlorine and ph looked good. I am using a test kit for only those two things, i never had any luck with the test strips.
This site looks very informative and hopefully I will start using some tips regarding chemical maintenance once I get my numbers good. Every year the pool store is always trying to sell me more and more. Last year and currently am using Tab-a-day chlorine (pool-trol manufacturer) and I am not too happy with it. I used to use Hth products.
Sorry for not answering sooner but I didn't recieve an email alert regarding a response, I thought I was set up for that.
Also, do you know anythiing about adding a signature. The insructions says to click a link for User Control Panel but I don't have that.
Thanks for the help/advice. Teresa

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.