Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liner

I just put in a new liner for an 8400 gallon above ground pool (52inches,18 round). Filled it over night and added one gallon of liquid shock 2 hours ago. Tested chlorine and ph levels and both are way high. Is it normal for PH to be so high.? Been maintaining a pool for 5 years, never saw such a high PH reading.
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Liner

Welcome Theresa 22. Since you added a gallon of chlorine (%?) and then tested the pH, of course it's going to be high if you're chlorine is over 10ppm. Anything over 10ppm chlorine will read a false positive. But anyways... I have to ask if you added any CYA/Stabilizer/Conditioner to protect your chlorine from the sun? If not, we highly advise against dumping a lot of chlorine in an unstabilized pool. You could bleach out your liner and since you have a brand new one, you should take good care of it!

Have you thought about a reliable test kit and reading Pool School? So much good information in Pool School to get you started down the right track of taking charge of your pool and maintenance. If you have any questions, just ask! Hope you'll get started on your homework and read pool school several times, as each time, it makes a lot more sense than the last!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Liner

Hi Casey, Thanks for responding.
    I bought stabilizer last night to add to the pool. My chlorine and ph looked good. I am using a test kit for only those two things, i never had any luck with the test strips.
    This site looks very informative and hopefully I will start using some tips regarding chemical maintenance once I get my numbers good. Every year the pool store is always trying to sell me more and more. Last year and currently am using Tab-a-day chlorine (pool-trol manufacturer) and I am not too happy with it. I used to use Hth products.
    Sorry for not answering sooner but I didn't recieve an email alert regarding a response, I thought I was set up for that.
    Also, do you know anythiing about adding a signature. The insructions says to click a link for User Control Panel but I don't have that.
    Thanks for the help/advice. Teresa