Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why is pump out on top and not on bottom?

1. Back To Top    #1

why is pump out on top and not on bottom?

Ok..let's see if I can explain this since I'm sure not politically correct in my terminology. ..lol

Why is the pump out come into the pool on top....or towards the surface instead of being located towards the bottom?

Seems like if it came in in the middle or maybe 3/4 way down....the water would be circulated much better?

Right? .....wrong? .....obviously wrong. ...because companies would be making them this way...but I just don't understand? ???

Also...there used to be a thread on hayward threw wall skimmer with detailed instruction s...anyone know where it went. I can't seem to find it and also looked threw intex help threads (skicky)
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: why is pump out on top and not on bottom?

Some IG pools do have returns that are lower but that is basically by choice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Closer to the top and you can get the surface to move around so the skimmers work better. Lower down adds to lower circulation but the surface doesn't move as much.But generally surface returns can be used for both since most eyeballs allow you to point down or up so if there is only one return, my choice would be closer to the surface.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Winterizing is much easier if the return is relatively high, as the water must be drained below the returns.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Some IG pools do have returns that are lower but that is basically by choice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Closer to the top and you can get the surface to move around so the skimmers work better. Lower down adds to lower circulation but the surface doesn't move as much.But generally surface returns can be used for both since most eyeballs allow you to point down or up so if there is only one return, my choice would be closer to the surface.
    I see.

Well I have a intex 16" x 48" (I think...lol) but upgrading to the sand filter/pump this season with thru wall skimmer....(nope...just read my details below....lol) 14
    I think I remember reading last year someone else upgraded and never had to vacuum. I was just thinking....in which is good and bad....lol
    But now wonder if installing a return on top and towards the bottom? ??

Over thinking. ..I know right?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama