TA is low

Feb 13, 2014
Central California
Since taking over my own pool care 3 months ago things have been mostly good. I've been focused on keeping the FC and PH balanced with liquid chlorine and muriatic acid.

I decide to check the TA and CH today. The TA came in low at 40... it had been around 100 when I last checked it.

So I'm going to add baking soda to bring the TA up. How often do folks check some of the other chem levels.

Thanks

Today -

TA=40
CH=260
pH=7.4
FC=4
CYA=30

I check FC and pH regularly, TA monthly and CYA maybe 2x a summer unless I'm adjusting it.

Hi,

I'm baaaack....

So when I started this thread my TA was at 40. I got a 12lb bag of baking soda from Costco. Added the whole thing over a few days and brought the TA back up to around 100.

But here we are a month later and when I checked my TA today it's at 60. I am adding muriatic acid every few days to bring the pH down. It will rise to 7.6ish and I bring it back down to 7.4ish.

Just not sure if this is normal or not with the TA.

Water is nice and clear (despite a recent visit from my 6 yr. old niece and nephew)

Here are my latest test results -

FC - 4.0
CH - 300
pH - 7.5
CYA - 30
TA - 60

Why not see if your pH will stabilize at 7.6 or 7.8 with a TA of 70 or 80? It could be that your TA is falling because of your constant additions of muriatic acid to keep your pH at 7.4.

My TA was around 110 until I held my pH at 7.2 with muriatic acid for about a week. At the end of the week my TA was down to 70. Now that my TA is 70 I don't have to add muriatic acid as often because my pH doesn't rise so fast.

Last edited:
Every time you add acid to lower pH, you also lower TA a little.

What I don't understand is why you do you even bother adjusting it at 7.6 pH? Your CH is not so high that you have to watch CSI like a hawk. You may discover that if you leave pH alone, it will just settle in at 7.6 or 7.7 and stay there for weeks.

Every time you add acid to lower pH, you also lower TA a little.

What I don't understand is why you do you even bother adjusting it at 7.6 pH? Your CH is not so high that you have to watch CSI like a hawk. You may discover that if you leave pH alone, it will just settle in at 7.6 or 7.7 and stay there for weeks.

It's just me being new to this whole thing. I'll try getting the pH settled a little higher and see what happens.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.