Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ??? On Pump & Filter Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Question ??? On Pump & Filter Size

I'm getting an 18' round x 52 inch high above ground pool. I am getting a 1 HP pump and 1 HP filter. This is plenty for my pool size????
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ??? On Pump & Filter Size

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMama View Post
    1 HP filter
    Filters are not normally rated in HP. But without knowing the model # of either, it is hard to say. Are they the same as what is in your signature? Do you have a link to the equipment?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

If at all possible get a two speed 1 HP pump, running on low speed will save you 50% of your pool related electrical bill.

There is no such thing as a "1 HP" filter. Filters are generally measured in surface area, typically square feet, you also need to say which kind: sand, cartridge, or DE.

Generally you want a larger filter than the sales people will want to sell you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

An 18'x52" pool will do well with the 1hp pump.

I've never heard of a filter rated in hp. Can I assume from your sig line that it is a 17" sand filter? If it is, then yes, that will work for your pool, although I probably would have gone with a 21" or bigger. You will have to backwash a little more frequently than with a larger filter.

When it comes to filters, the bigger the better. More surface area to capture the fine particles.

- - - Updated - - -

If you could, please post the model number off of the filter.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so me thinks I need to fix my signature. I knew I would get it wrong a few times. Ha

This is what I am supposed to be getting.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    MermaidMama

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, now I understand the hp confusion. That sales brochure is listing the pump hp that the filter will be compatible with.

While you are ordering the pool, consider what JasonLion said about the 2 speed option. it will save you money on pool operation.

I will stick by what has been said about filter size. Get the biggest you can afford. 100lbs of sand will have you backwashing probably twice a month, where a 22" or 24" that holds 200- 300lbs will be more like twice a season.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is the rating for the pump only. But there is no reason why you couldn't go down to a 3/4 HP too. It will use less energy that then 1 HP. Do they have a two speed option?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    I will stick by what has been said about filter size. Get the biggest you can afford. 100lbs of sand will have you backwashing probably twice a month, where a 22" or 24" that holds 200- 300lbs will be more like twice a season.
    If I bumped up to a 22" filter, would a 1 HP pump still be sufficient?

9. Back To Top    #9

More than sufficient. It will work well with your pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

I too would suggest going with the 3/4 HP pump if they don't offer a 2 speed 1 HP.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Since you are worried that a 1hp pump may not be enough for your pool, think about this: Intex 2650gph pumps are only 1/2 - 3/4 hp, and are used on 24'x52" Intex pools, and do quite well. The 2500gph 1/2hp pump that I have is almost too much for my 15'x48" pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you all so much!!!! You've given me lots to think about.

Funny about dropping to 3/4 hp pump. I guess want it comes to pool pumps, bigger isn't always better. Overkill on a smaller pool. I just thought it would work "better".

MermaidMama

13. Back To Top    #13

Better is relative, you would probably be ok with the bigger pump, but it would waste electricity
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~