Slam nuances

aonis

Apr 22, 2013
Florida
Hi everyone,

So I've been dealing with an algae bloom for a little over a week. It's been a total mess as I have been trying to SLAM it but also was missing my CYA reagent, so I was a wild guess state. I was trying to keep the pool around 10ppm in order to kill all the algae. Long story short, someone in the house took a sample of water to the store and they sold her 10lbs of stabilizer which was put into the pool bringing the CYA up to 100! In any case, I got it back down to 60 (which I think is a good level).

I've been adding chlorine, brushing, and even vacuumed one morning. The pool is still cloudy and seems bloomy :) In all honesty I've been trying to not SLAM too hard in order to allow ppl to swim in the pool but maybe that is just silly. In any case, I wanted to upload some pics to see what you all thought of where I'm at in this situation.

It's a 10,000 gallon in ground
FC is 4.5ppm as of this morning
CYA was 60 yesterday

x3uzao.jpg

2ni1jtg.jpg

8yrh37.jpg

thanks!

Your chlorine is too low. If you want to SLAM the pool then SLAM the pool according to the FC/CYA chart in pool school. Personally, no one gets to swim in my pool if it's needing SLAM'ed.

SLAM doesn't work if you don't follow the procedures very precisely. It sounds like you are approaching it in a half-way manner (very common for newbies) but the problem is you get half-way results.

Reread the SLAM process and go at it full bore and you will get your pool clear.

The reason I think your at a stand still is your FC level is not at SLAM level for your CYA level. Your SLAM level is 24 for a CYA of 60.
You should be trying to maintain that FC level as long as you can by testing your water every couple of hours and redosing as needed.
You can also swim in FC levels up to SLAM level as long as you can see the bottom of the pool. Safety reasons !
Take a minute or two to review the SLAM process in Pool School. ?

When it says use bleach in the SLAM section, are we just talking about the regular bleach you get at Kmart? Typically we have these 2 gallon containers that they refill for use at the pool store. I assume it's liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.