Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebble Sheen Replaster Complete Chip Out or Not

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebble Sheen Replaster Complete Chip Out or Not

The PB company just started my re-plaster job going from old white plaster to pebble sheen. They are doing a complete chip out in our spa which the old plaster had been chipping off. The subcontractor that is prepping the pool indicated that the main pool doesn't need to be completely chipped out just around the fixtures. The surface in the main pool was still pretty good just started to get discoloration. I thought they would chip out the whole pool so I am concerned at this point. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pebble Sheen Replaster Complete Chip Out or Not

Short of an onsite visit, I doubt anyone here can have a more accurate opinion than the guy doing the work.

If you are uncomfortable with what he is saying, talk to him until you get a better understanding.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

These days they only do a complete chip out when there is significant delamination or there are already several layers of plaster in place.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason. That helped reduce my stress level
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm going through this now. I've received about 7 estimates here in southern California with most calling for a complete chip out and a couple calling for either a "hydro blast" or chipping just at the tile line and around lights and using a "bonding product". Those that were not doing a full chip out said they would check "various" areas of the pool for delamination and go from there. I asked, since they were not checking every inch of the pool how would they know if they left behind an area that could cause concern. They said they were fairly confident they would get it right. That wasn't good enough for me. Especially when I factored in that their cost for demo was the same. I know what I'm getting with a full chip out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Please post pics of the new plaster upon completion!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter