Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Charlie_R's Intex Pool Modifications

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlie_R's Intex Pool Modifications

Posts moved from Adding a 2nd return to 14x42 ultra frame

Wow Nice job with the hairdryer pipe bending Charlie! Great idea.
    I'm about to add new components to my 18' X 48" Summer Escapes and I have a couple related questions.
    Got a 2500 GPH filter/pump, Saltwater generator and a small Raypak gas heater.
    I want to hard pipe everything and add a fountain too. My plan is to bury pipe to the pool from the equipment 10' away.
    When I come up at the pool, I will have a union, and then a short piece of Spa Flex before hard pipe to the fittings, skimmer, ect.
    My main question is this.
    Can I put a low intake under the skimmer to help draw settled debris and colder water from the bottom?
    I'm wondering is cutting a low hole in unreinforced liner will be subject to higher pressure?
    With the union and flex, it would still be a foot or more from the bottom.
    Anyone know if that's an issue?
    Last edited by zea3; 05-10-2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: move side conversation to its own thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding 2nd return to 14'x42" ultra frame

Pete, Look for the thread I'll start for you. I'll answer there. We don't want to hi-jack threads.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

For Pete -- Second return question

Wow Nice job with the hairdryer pipe bending Charlie! Great idea.
    I'm about to add new components to my 18' X 48" Summer Escapes and I have a couple related questions.
    Got a 2500 GPH filter/pump, Saltwater generator and a small Raypak gas heater.
    I want to hard pipe everything and add a fountain too. My plan is to bury pipe to the pool from the equipment 10' away.
    When I come up at the pool, I will have a union, and then a short piece of Spa Flex before hard pipe to the fittings, skimmer, ect.
    My main question is this.
    Can I put a low intake under the skimmer to help draw settled debris and colder water from the bottom?
    I'm wondering is cutting a low hole in unreinforced liner will be subject to higher pressure?
    With the union and flex, it would still be a foot or more from the bottom.
    Anyone know if that's an issue?
    You can, I don't think it would be a problem. The piece you remove for your skimmer can be used as a reinforcing layer, glued to either the inside or out with pool rated vinyl (underwater) glue.

Honestly, All I've done is point one of my returns towards the center of the bottom, and I get good circulation down low.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh!!!

A couple of things:

Welcome to TFP!!

Thank you for the compliment on the hair dryer, but it's actually not my idea. I learned it from an electrician that custom bends his PVC conduit that way.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.