Do not rely on the flow control SWG feature

MadHouse

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2012
Big Country, Texas
Split off of this topic. This material is off topic for it's original location. JasonLion

Do not rely on the flow control SWG feature. My PLC code and I were not communicating well (forgot safety loop to ensure SWG was not left on alone) and the IC40 produced enough heat and pressure to push the seal out between the control panel and body of the SWG. I saw water dripping from it and grabbed it for an inspection to find a nice flow of current into my hand. Being the DIYer I am... I was able to repair it by drying it inside and out with a hair dryer and using black RTV between the surfaces. Has been in service for the last 2 years without problems. Might be some good info for saving 500 or so dollars.

Mark

Re: Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common ti

Do not rely on the flow control SWG feature. My PLC code and I were not communicating well (forgot safety loop to ensure SWG was not left on alone) and the IC40 produced enough heat and pressure to push the seal out between the control panel and body of the SWG. I saw water dripping from it and grabbed it for an inspection to find a nice flow of current into my hand. Being the DIYer I am... I was able to repair it by drying it inside and out with a hair dryer and using black RTV between the surfaces. Has been in service for the last 2 years without problems. Might be some good info for saving 500 or so dollars.

Mark
Do you recall if your SWG was throwing red "no flow" led light?

Re: Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common ti

Yes it was. What happened was the pump shut off and the swg power stayed on. I walked up and the red led for not having enough water movement was on and the unit was dripping water. In the previous post I said it was leaking, that was when I turned the pump back on. My memory doesn't always work correctly... Too many drugs as a kid... Sorry about the confusion.

Yes it was. What happened was the pump shut off and the swg power stayed on. I walked up and the red led for not having enough water movement was on and the unit was dripping water. In the previous post I said it was leaking, that was when I turned the pump back on. My memory doesn't always work correctly... Too many drugs as a kid... Sorry about the confusion.

Very interesting topic here. I'm trying to decide if I should turn power off when my pump is not running or keep power to SWG on.
However, having power supplied to SWG doesn't mean that electrolysis will be going on all the time causing SWG to overhit. SWG has bunch of electronics to control electrolysis process, time intervals when it runs (chlorine level), etc. But of course electronics may fail and SWG may be ruined if electrolysis kicks in and there is no water flow. Go figure...

Yes sir. Especially if it is by Pentair. I believe all of their pumps, SWG, automators (is that a word?), ect. communicate with rs232. So yes, when the pump goes off, so will the SWG. Whether it kills the power to the SWG, I doubt it. There are connections inside the power supply for communicating with the automation system. My setup is 90% xAP and PLC. Most industrial automation is programmed in PLC. I use many of these devices called "Webcontrol PLC". Google it. Pretty much can do anything.

Yes sir. Especially if it is by Pentair. I believe all of their pumps, SWG, automators (is that a word?), ect. communicate with rs232. So yes, when the pump goes off, so will the SWG. Whether it kills the power to the SWG, I doubt it. There are connections inside the power supply for communicating with the automation system. My setup is 90% xAP and PLC. Most industrial automation is programmed in PLC. I use many of these devices called "Webcontrol PLC". Google it. Pretty much can do anything.

I wish Pentair would make something to allow IntelliFlo VS/ SWG power supply communication. Maybe it's time to hack it?

They will communicate with intellitouch or most Pentair automation systems. They will not communicate with eachother, they need a third party to receive the pinging outgoing info from the devices and send its own transmission to alter it. Pentair sells a device that will allow one to use ttl high outputs to choose what speed setting you want to use. Way out of my bounds, but one could also snoop and listen to the pinging outputs from either device and try to figure out what it is saying. I remember reading that someone accomplished it with a pump and was able to monitor rpm, volume of flow and control it from a pc. I think it was on the homeseer forums. A lot of neat stuff. Always gets my brain tickin...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.