Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do not rely on the flow control SWG feature

1. Back To Top    #1

Do not rely on the flow control SWG feature

Split off of this topic. This material is off topic for it's original location. JasonLion

Do not rely on the flow control SWG feature. My PLC code and I were not communicating well (forgot safety loop to ensure SWG was not left on alone) and the IC40 produced enough heat and pressure to push the seal out between the control panel and body of the SWG. I saw water dripping from it and grabbed it for an inspection to find a nice flow of current into my hand. Being the DIYer I am... I was able to repair it by drying it inside and out with a hair dryer and using black RTV between the surfaces. Has been in service for the last 2 years without problems. Might be some good info for saving 500 or so dollars.

Mark
    55000 Gallon freeform plaster. Paramount pv3 infloor. TR-140C. 2ea VS-3500. 2ea IC40 cells. 2ea 1.5hp Whisperflo pumps. Intellibrite 5g lighting. 144 square foot SR Smith Wet Deck. xAP and PLC pool control and automation with homeseer PRO. TF-100 test kit. Built in 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common ti

Quote Originally Posted by MadHouse View Post
    Do not rely on the flow control SWG feature. My PLC code and I were not communicating well (forgot safety loop to ensure SWG was not left on alone) and the IC40 produced enough heat and pressure to push the seal out between the control panel and body of the SWG. I saw water dripping from it and grabbed it for an inspection to find a nice flow of current into my hand. Being the DIYer I am... I was able to repair it by drying it inside and out with a hair dryer and using black RTV between the surfaces. Has been in service for the last 2 years without problems. Might be some good info for saving 500 or so dollars.

Mark
    Do you recall if your SWG was throwing red "no flow" led light?
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common ti

Yes it was. What happened was the pump shut off and the swg power stayed on. I walked up and the red led for not having enough water movement was on and the unit was dripping water. In the previous post I said it was leaking, that was when I turned the pump back on. My memory doesn't always work correctly... Too many drugs as a kid... Sorry about the confusion.
    55000 Gallon freeform plaster. Paramount pv3 infloor. TR-140C. 2ea VS-3500. 2ea IC40 cells. 2ea 1.5hp Whisperflo pumps. Intellibrite 5g lighting. 144 square foot SR Smith Wet Deck. xAP and PLC pool control and automation with homeseer PRO. TF-100 test kit. Built in 2010.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes it was. What happened was the pump shut off and the swg power stayed on. I walked up and the red led for not having enough water movement was on and the unit was dripping water. In the previous post I said it was leaking, that was when I turned the pump back on. My memory doesn't always work correctly... Too many drugs as a kid... Sorry about the confusion.
    Very interesting topic here. I'm trying to decide if I should turn power off when my pump is not running or keep power to SWG on.
    However, having power supplied to SWG doesn't mean that electrolysis will be going on all the time causing SWG to overhit. SWG has bunch of electronics to control electrolysis process, time intervals when it runs (chlorine level), etc. But of course electronics may fail and SWG may be ruined if electrolysis kicks in and there is no water flow. Go figure...
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes sir. Especially if it is by Pentair. I believe all of their pumps, SWG, automators (is that a word?), ect. communicate with rs232. So yes, when the pump goes off, so will the SWG. Whether it kills the power to the SWG, I doubt it. There are connections inside the power supply for communicating with the automation system. My setup is 90% xAP and PLC. Most industrial automation is programmed in PLC. I use many of these devices called "Webcontrol PLC". Google it. Pretty much can do anything.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes sir. Especially if it is by Pentair. I believe all of their pumps, SWG, automators (is that a word?), ect. communicate with rs232. So yes, when the pump goes off, so will the SWG. Whether it kills the power to the SWG, I doubt it. There are connections inside the power supply for communicating with the automation system. My setup is 90% xAP and PLC. Most industrial automation is programmed in PLC. I use many of these devices called "Webcontrol PLC". Google it. Pretty much can do anything.
    I wish Pentair would make something to allow IntelliFlo VS/ SWG power supply communication. Maybe it's time to hack it?

7. Back To Top    #7

They will communicate with intellitouch or most Pentair automation systems. They will not communicate with eachother, they need a third party to receive the pinging outgoing info from the devices and send its own transmission to alter it. Pentair sells a device that will allow one to use ttl high outputs to choose what speed setting you want to use. Way out of my bounds, but one could also snoop and listen to the pinging outputs from either device and try to figure out what it is saying. I remember reading that someone accomplished it with a pump and was able to monitor rpm, volume of flow and control it from a pc. I think it was on the homeseer forums. A lot of neat stuff. Always gets my brain tickin...