TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We live outside of Philadelphia, PA (So you have an idea of climate.) Have an auto cover that is always on unless we're enjoying the outdoors. Does a good job of heating the water (For what it is) and keeping the heat in. Pool is about 8500 gallons.

We've decided on a heat pump as we want to maintain temp. That decision is made, so we don't have to go there. BUT, I'd love to get an idea of what size heat pump we should get before we start talking to vendors (Who will probably beat down the door until we relent!) Been looking at Hayward, Jandy, AquaCal and Pentair. All seem to have their pluses and minuses and still doing research on which manufacturer I want. Opinions are welcome.

But generally, I want to figure size. For our size pool, I imagine we could go with the smallest unit and be fine. But I want to oversize it as it seems this is absolutely the way to go. I don't want the unit just making it. So spending an extra $500-1000 to do it right is fine.

So, any opinions on size?

All I could offer is that for houses, you don't want to oversize units as they cycle off/on too much which is inefficient and leads to peaks and valleys of temperature swings.
Water has a different heat capacity than air so it may not be the same. Try calling a couple of mfgs and asking what size they recommend?

most manufactures have a "sizing calculation" to best size the heat pump to your pool. things they will need to know would be water volume, blanket yes or no, what temperature YOU require and length of swimming season. bigger does not always means better when it comes to heat pumps.

All I could offer is that for houses, you don't want to oversize units as they cycle off/on too much which is inefficient and leads to peaks and valleys of temperature swings.
Water has a different heat capacity than air so it may not be the same. Try calling a couple of mfgs and asking what size they recommend?

Bob - I had the same thought as I've been hearing over and over to oversize, but I've always known this to be bad in the house.

I'll be calling around soon to see what I can uncover. Just wanted to go in as educated as possible. Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.