SLAMing and Increasing Pressure on Eclipse Sand Filter

May 7, 2014
Central Ohio
About 5 days into my first go-around with the BBB method.
Pool was a beautiful shade of emerald green . .

Test Results from Leslie's before adding anything for the season:

FC: .5
TAC: .5
CYA: 45
TA: 0
pH: 6.8

In an attempt to follow the BBB method, raised the pH to 7.2 (required 4 boxes of borax). Also added 4 lbs. of Baking Soda. Water began to clear even before adding any bleach! Thank you TFP! - Added 5 bottle of bleach the 1st night (121 oz. of 8.5%), with notable clarity the next day. Have added an additional 5 bottles since to maintain FC level. Alage seems to be dying nicely. So SLAMing is going well, I think.

Here's my problem. When I first started up the system, the pressure on my Eclipse Sand filter was 24. I have backwashed several times (that might have been a mistake), and my pressure keeps rising. Today is was 32, dropping only to 31 after backwashing. I read the forums a bit before this post and reailezed that I probably shouldn't backwash so much. Whoops. :( But I wondered what you experts out there think about the pressure. Is it normal for the pressure to be up due to the alage? Also - I seem to remember that my pressure was about 18 last year . . but then again I had a lot less water in the pool last year. Its full this year (was a wading pool last year due to repairs, and my unwillingness to pay the massive water bill to fill the pool with only a couple of weeks left in swim season). So does more water in the pool = higher pressure? I guess it would, right? So maybe 30 is normal for my filter? Hummmm. . . starting to go in circles here.

Well, any adivce is most welcome! Thanks TFP! I love being in control of my pool!

Most likely you are not backwashing the filter for long enough, at least two minutes or until the water turns clear if that takes longer. Do you have a two speed or variable speed pump? If so, remember that you need to backwash on high speed (or at least a relatively high speed).

How is the return jet pressure?

Can you also add your pool specs to your signature. We have no idea whether this is an in ground or an above ground pool. :goodjob: You're also going to be needing a reliable test kit. You just can't (I should say, you just shouldn't!!!) be dumping chlorine in the pool so wildly.

Ahhh - in response to the backwashing - you are probably right - as when I backwash I have not seen any dirty water come through the clear section of the pipe. I think I've run it for maybe 30-60 seconds each time, but when I don't see the dirt come through I just give up for fear of not wanting to waste too much water.

Return pressure is very strong as far as I can tell. This is my first week operating the pool in my own (had a 'pool guy' last year), but the water seems to really blast out.

I just read the post on Deep Cleaning - that was helpful! That whole section on rinsing after backwashing is new to me . . haven't done that at all yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.