Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAMing and Increasing Pressure on Eclipse Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAMing and Increasing Pressure on Eclipse Sand Filter

About 5 days into my first go-around with the BBB method.
    Pool was a beautiful shade of emerald green . .

Test Results from Leslie's before adding anything for the season:

FC: .5
    TAC: .5
    CYA: 45
    TA: 0
    pH: 6.8

In an attempt to follow the BBB method, raised the pH to 7.2 (required 4 boxes of borax). Also added 4 lbs. of Baking Soda. Water began to clear even before adding any bleach! Thank you TFP! - Added 5 bottle of bleach the 1st night (121 oz. of 8.5%), with notable clarity the next day. Have added an additional 5 bottles since to maintain FC level. Alage seems to be dying nicely. So SLAMing is going well, I think.

Here's my problem. When I first started up the system, the pressure on my Eclipse Sand filter was 24. I have backwashed several times (that might have been a mistake), and my pressure keeps rising. Today is was 32, dropping only to 31 after backwashing. I read the forums a bit before this post and reailezed that I probably shouldn't backwash so much. Whoops. But I wondered what you experts out there think about the pressure. Is it normal for the pressure to be up due to the alage? Also - I seem to remember that my pressure was about 18 last year . . but then again I had a lot less water in the pool last year. Its full this year (was a wading pool last year due to repairs, and my unwillingness to pay the massive water bill to fill the pool with only a couple of weeks left in swim season). So does more water in the pool = higher pressure? I guess it would, right? So maybe 30 is normal for my filter? Hummmm. . . starting to go in circles here.

Well, any adivce is most welcome! Thanks TFP! I love being in control of my pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAMing and Increasing Pressure on Eclipse Sand Filter

It just sounds like the filter is loaded with sludge. It probably needs a deep cleaning.

How are you doing the SLAM without your own test kit?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Most likely you are not backwashing the filter for long enough, at least two minutes or until the water turns clear if that takes longer. Do you have a two speed or variable speed pump? If so, remember that you need to backwash on high speed (or at least a relatively high speed).

How is the return jet pressure?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you also add your pool specs to your signature. We have no idea whether this is an in ground or an above ground pool. You're also going to be needing a reliable test kit. You just can't (I should say, you just shouldn't!!!) be dumping chlorine in the pool so wildly.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh Yes - I do have a Taylor Test kit. Sorry - forgot to mention that. I will read up on deep cleaning.
    Thanks for the fast response!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ahhh - in response to the backwashing - you are probably right - as when I backwash I have not seen any dirty water come through the clear section of the pipe. I think I've run it for maybe 30-60 seconds each time, but when I don't see the dirt come through I just give up for fear of not wanting to waste too much water.
    30,000 Gallon, In-ground, Concrete bottom, Painted Steel Sides. Eclipse Sand Filter, Hayward Chlorinater, Pool built Circa 1950

7. Back To Top    #7

Return pressure is very strong as far as I can tell. This is my first week operating the pool in my own (had a 'pool guy' last year), but the water seems to really blast out.

I just read the post on Deep Cleaning - that was helpful! That whole section on rinsing after backwashing is new to me . . haven't done that at all yet.
    30,000 Gallon, In-ground, Concrete bottom, Painted Steel Sides. Eclipse Sand Filter, Hayward Chlorinater, Pool built Circa 1950