LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I keep reading your not to backfill the area up against the pool. My ground is pretty level, so I'm expecting the dug out area to the grass to be 6-8 inches at most. Obviously you don't leave an open trench around the pool. What did everyone do? Any neat ideas?

I'm thinking we'll just put some small pebble stone up against it. Would that be ok?

I know that Intex tell you not to backfill against the pool. I did. No problems last summer, survived the winter. I expect to be replacing the poles next year, as I don't think being buried will agree with them.

I put river rock around my last one and have yet to put anything around this one. I won't be back filling that's for sure!

This was old pool at my ex husband's house. The pool isn't there anymore but I hand picked all those rocks myself and brought them up from the river.

This is my new pool at my house that my husband and I just installed last year. We will be adding a deck on the back end where the hill slopes into the pool. I'm not back filling that. Right now I have wild flowers planted here til we get the deck on.

He wants to do some decorative stones around the part that won't have decking on it...

Wow, that was a lot of work!!! You got some big rocks there. Looked pretty.

Mine will be delivered and stones much smaller. So, I guess that will be the plan.

Would love to see pictures if anyone wants to share.

It's all going to come down to personal choice and budget. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For my Intex type pool I cut strips of indoor/outdoor carpet on an angle to sort of match the slope. Lots of other materials could serve the same purpose. Then with the liner protected, you can fill with anything you like. I used wood chip. When compacted you can walk on them, but they are still lightweight.

those are some awesome rocks right there. I need a dozen or so of big ones like that to go in my landscaping.

This was old pool at my ex husband's house. The pool isn't there anymore but I hand picked all those rocks myself and brought them up from the river.

This is my new pool at my house that my husband and I just installed last year. We will be adding a deck on the back end where the hill slopes into the pool. I'm not back filling that. Right now I have wild flowers planted here til we get the deck on.

He wants to do some decorative stones around the part that won't have decking on it...

I have used both rubber mulch and river pebbles. So far, I prefer the pebbles. Pics and a discussion of pros and cons are in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73741-Dimension-at-the-ground-for-Intex-16-Ultra-frame-pool

Thanks for the link Jeff! I like the dark brown look of the mulch, but after reading it about it blowing around and gettings stuck on feet, got me thinking I'll go with the original rock plan. The rock still looks really nice, and it just sounds much more practical.

We were hoping to get the pool put in last August and then we were going to re-do our entire deck, and install a pool deck. Well, we had so many permit issues, then fall and winter (Christmas with three kids) came and we held off. Still looked dismal for pool in March, so we went ahead and got the deck permit and are in process of building the deck. The inspector said he would relook at our pool permit and calls me two weeks ago and says pool permit is issued. Whoo Hoo!!! Bummer though, cause now we have to do our pool deck separate. We did a bigger original deck too, thinking we'll put more money into it now. Hoping we can add the pool deck this year, but it might have to wait til next year.

Divin Dave, They are heavy when lugging them up from the river by yourself. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.