Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trench Around Pool- What did you do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Trench Around Pool- What did you do?

I keep reading your not to backfill the area up against the pool. My ground is pretty level, so I'm expecting the dug out area to the grass to be 6-8 inches at most. Obviously you don't leave an open trench around the pool. What did everyone do? Any neat ideas?

I'm thinking we'll just put some small pebble stone up against it. Would that be ok?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Trench Around Pool- What did you do?

I'm planning on using river rocks too.... They look great, and they're nice and smooth, just make sure you don't buy anything that is too sharp...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

I know that Intex tell you not to backfill against the pool. I did. No problems last summer, survived the winter. I expect to be replacing the poles next year, as I don't think being buried will agree with them.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I put river rock around my last one and have yet to put anything around this one. I won't be back filling that's for sure!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I put river rock around my last one and have yet to put anything around this one. I won't be back filling that's for sure!
    Did you make out OK with the river rock the first time around?

So, you just have dirt now? What are you thinking of doing?

6. Back To Top    #6

This was old pool at my ex husband's house. The pool isn't there anymore but I hand picked all those rocks myself and brought them up from the river.

This is my new pool at my house that my husband and I just installed last year. We will be adding a deck on the back end where the hill slopes into the pool. I'm not back filling that. Right now I have wild flowers planted here til we get the deck on.

He wants to do some decorative stones around the part that won't have decking on it...

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow, that was a lot of work!!! You got some big rocks there. Looked pretty.

Mine will be delivered and stones much smaller. So, I guess that will be the plan.

Would love to see pictures if anyone wants to share.

8. Back To Top    #8

I miss my river rocks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Was thinking some more about this, what about the rubber mulch? (Like lots of playgrounds use)
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

10. Back To Top    #10

It's all going to come down to personal choice and budget.

11. Back To Top    #11

For my Intex type pool I cut strips of indoor/outdoor carpet on an angle to sort of match the slope. Lots of other materials could serve the same purpose. Then with the liner protected, you can fill with anything you like. I used wood chip. When compacted you can walk on them, but they are still lightweight.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I have used both rubber mulch and river pebbles. So far, I prefer the pebbles. Pics and a discussion of pros and cons are in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...tra-frame-pool
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

13. Back To Top    #13

those are some awesome rocks right there. I need a dozen or so of big ones like that to go in my landscaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    This was old pool at my ex husband's house. The pool isn't there anymore but I hand picked all those rocks myself and brought them up from the river.

This is my new pool at my house that my husband and I just installed last year. We will be adding a deck on the back end where the hill slopes into the pool. I'm not back filling that. Right now I have wild flowers planted here til we get the deck on.

He wants to do some decorative stones around the part that won't have decking on it...

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I have used both rubber mulch and river pebbles. So far, I prefer the pebbles. Pics and a discussion of pros and cons are in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...tra-frame-pool
    Thanks for the link Jeff! I like the dark brown look of the mulch, but after reading it about it blowing around and gettings stuck on feet, got me thinking I'll go with the original rock plan. The rock still looks really nice, and it just sounds much more practical.

We were hoping to get the pool put in last August and then we were going to re-do our entire deck, and install a pool deck. Well, we had so many permit issues, then fall and winter (Christmas with three kids) came and we held off. Still looked dismal for pool in March, so we went ahead and got the deck permit and are in process of building the deck. The inspector said he would relook at our pool permit and calls me two weeks ago and says pool permit is issued. Whoo Hoo!!! Bummer though, cause now we have to do our pool deck separate. We did a bigger original deck too, thinking we'll put more money into it now. Hoping we can add the pool deck this year, but it might have to wait til next year.
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

15. Back To Top    #15

Divin Dave, They are heavy when lugging them up from the river by yourself.