algae and shocking

Hello, i just started my pool after winterizing.
the water was clear but there was green algae on the bottom he'res what i did (after plugging back the pump/filter):

At start:
The water was about half the normal level at start.
There is green algae in the bottom but the water itself is clear.
The pool is 20 000 liters
The new water come from the municipal pipes (wich already contain chlorine)

1. I removed the leaves at the bottom while filling the missing water with something like this: This
  2. I removed the floating leaves and debris with a net
  3. I started brushing the pool as from waht i understand, to have clorine kill algae, it have to be dislodged first
  4. After brushing about half the pool i coulnt see the bottom anymore so i kept brushing guessing what i was doing until (i guess) it was 100% brushed
  5. I waited for water to be high enough in the skimmer to start the pump and filter

The shock treatment label say that to shock the pool i need to put 150g of 70% chlore per 10 000 liters of water.
To kill algae i have to use 350g per 10 000 liters but there's a note that say this may cause stain/bleaching of the pool.

Here's my questions:
I used the normal shock dose (300g) as i'm affraid or ruining my pool. should this be enough or will the algae come back ?
If its not enough do I risk breeding algae that resist chlorine? (like when people dont take their antibiotic prescription till the end)
Should I add more right now or wait and see?
I did shock my water before having my water tested because i tough i had to fight algae first and that I'll care about ph and other things later. was this the correct order? I tough i'd at least make my water blue or turquoise before i start worrying about everything else.

Here's what the pool look like after 20h of running :
I still cant see the bottom but at least the color got from opaque green to opaque blue

Thanks

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

To take control and clear the pool you have to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and then follow the SLAM Process. That is the only way to guarantee to clear up your pool and not damage it.

The TFPC method we teach is really about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Since you are in Canada, getting one of the recommended kits may be problematic/expensive. Do you have a way to cross the border to a friendly mailing address to pick up the kit and bring it across yourself?

I dont know anyone going to us (at least not until next winter)
But i often order merchandise from international order without problems (mostly from china and US)
shipping rate arent usually that expensive (usually cost of the item plus shipping is cheaper than buying the thing in our overpriced +overtaxed stores) but i'm concerned about importing chemicals.
I'll have to read duty rules before buying.

- - - Updated - - -

And the since the North American Free Trade Agreement, there's no duty charge for importing north americans items

The Taylor K-2006 cost somewhere around $185CAN. If you have someone near the border on the US side, you could have it shipped to them, and you pick it up. I've heard of stores that rent P.O. Boxes for just this type of thing, you might check into that, for buying the TF-100 or K-2006 for a lot less money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tips and links i'll check them out.

Sometime company dont ship international but I use parcel service like stackry.com get them delivered to new hampshire then i pay the 20-30$ to fedex them to canada and it's still cheaper than buying them here at twice the price + 15% tax
(just did that for shoes from zappos)

by the way i have an OTO tester pretty much like this one, is it good enough for me to get a TF-50 or should i still go for a full kit?
pool_test_kit_ch_ph_1.jpg

The TF100 should take you into the next swimming season. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.