Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algae and shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

algae and shocking

Hello, i just started my pool after winterizing.
    the water was clear but there was green algae on the bottom he'res what i did (after plugging back the pump/filter):

At start:
    The water was about half the normal level at start.
    There is green algae in the bottom but the water itself is clear.
    The pool is 20 000 liters
    The new water come from the municipal pipes (wich already contain chlorine)

1. I removed the leaves at the bottom while filling the missing water with something like this: This
    2. I removed the floating leaves and debris with a net
    3. I started brushing the pool as from waht i understand, to have clorine kill algae, it have to be dislodged first
    4. After brushing about half the pool i coulnt see the bottom anymore so i kept brushing guessing what i was doing until (i guess) it was 100% brushed
    5. I waited for water to be high enough in the skimmer to start the pump and filter

The shock treatment label say that to shock the pool i need to put 150g of 70% chlore per 10 000 liters of water.
    To kill algae i have to use 350g per 10 000 liters but there's a note that say this may cause stain/bleaching of the pool.

Here's my questions:
    I used the normal shock dose (300g) as i'm affraid or ruining my pool. should this be enough or will the algae come back ?
    If its not enough do I risk breeding algae that resist chlorine? (like when people dont take their antibiotic prescription till the end)
    Should I add more right now or wait and see?
    I did shock my water before having my water tested because i tough i had to fight algae first and that I'll care about ph and other things later. was this the correct order? I tough i'd at least make my water blue or turquoise before i start worrying about everything else.

Here's what the pool look like after 20h of running :
    I still cant see the bottom but at least the color got from opaque green to opaque blue

Thanks
    Last edited by gazoutg; 05-09-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spellings

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: algae and shocking

Welcome to TFP!!!

To take control and clear the pool you have to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and then follow the SLAM Process. That is the only way to guarantee to clear up your pool and not damage it.

The TFPC method we teach is really about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the answer.
    I'll get a test kit but while the order proceed I can only rely on cheap testing stripes

5. Back To Top    #5

OOPS ... forgot to approve your first post before I responded
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you are in Canada, getting one of the recommended kits may be problematic/expensive. Do you have a way to cross the border to a friendly mailing address to pick up the kit and bring it across yourself?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

I dont know anyone going to us (at least not until next winter)
    But i often order merchandise from international order without problems (mostly from china and US)
    shipping rate arent usually that expensive (usually cost of the item plus shipping is cheaper than buying the thing in our overpriced +overtaxed stores) but i'm concerned about importing chemicals.
    I'll have to read duty rules before buying.

- - - Updated - - -

And the since the North American Free Trade Agreement, there's no duty charge for importing north americans items
    15 ft x 4ft deep circular above ground pool (5300 gallons)
    Hayward sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

But most companies are not allowed to export Taylor products to Canada ... there is a monopoly there.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    OOPS ... forgot to approve your first post before I responded
    Glad I'm not the only one to ever do it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

The Taylor K-2006 cost somewhere around $185CAN. If you have someone near the border on the US side, you could have it shipped to them, and you pick it up. I've heard of stores that rent P.O. Boxes for just this type of thing, you might check into that, for buying the TF-100 or K-2006 for a lot less money.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

I bought my K-2006 kit from here (currently $135 CDN) :

http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/...ts/k-2006.html

Good, quick service and they're even in Quebec. As long as you don't look at what the kits cost in the US it's All Good.

In case you're wondering, yes amazon.ca has a listing but it's always "Not Available" :

http://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-Complete.../dp/B0002IXIIG
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the tips and links i'll check them out.

Sometime company dont ship international but I use parcel service like stackry.com get them delivered to new hampshire then i pay the 20-30$ to fedex them to canada and it's still cheaper than buying them here at twice the price + 15% tax
    (just did that for shoes from zappos)
    Hayward sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

by the way i have an OTO tester pretty much like this one, is it good enough for me to get a TF-50 or should i still go for a full kit?
    Hayward sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Go for the TF-100 with xl option ... That way you will not run out of the reagent and have to try to get more so soon.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

The TF100 should take you into the next swimming season.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Since you do have a way to get it, the TF-100 XL and SpeedStir. You won't ever regret it!