Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner here trying to get my chemicals right

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner here trying to get my chemicals right

I just bought a 18 ft by 4 ft Intex pool im trying to figure out my chemicals. I tested my tap water which is what im filling the pool with to see what chemicals were already there from the city treatment, i used a Pool Master 5 way test kit until my TF100 gets here they are

FC- 0
    CC- 0
    PH- 7.2
    TA- 0 as far as I can tell
    Salt- 200 ppm

Using pool math to get at recommended levels I would need to add

FC -63 oz bleach at 6 %
    PH- 1.8 oz washing soda
    TA- 100 oz baking soda
    CYA- 74 oz stabilizer
    Salt- 178 lbs

Would that be correct or am i reading that wrong i dont want to end up buying way to much or not enough of something. Any help would be great thanks.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 ft round 48 in deep and 7,600 gallons, pool surface vinyl, Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump with 1,500 gph, Krystal Clear SWG. Located in North East Oklahoma.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner here trying to get my chemicals right

Welcome to TFP!

Adjust the TA first and then retest the PH before adjusting the PH. Raising the TA will likely raise the PH a little.

Add 2 ppm of chlorine this evening after sunset, and then switch to aiming for your FC target level next time

Also, don't raise the CYA all in one step. It is easy to raise CYA, but tricky to lower CYA. So aim for something below your real goal, and then adjust up based on retesting in a week.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks, but are my amounts to raise it correct? Im horrible with math and all that.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 ft round 48 in deep and 7,600 gallons, pool surface vinyl, Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump with 1,500 gph, Krystal Clear SWG. Located in North East Oklahoma.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your math looks reasonable, just make the adjustments I suggested and you will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks alot i appriciate the help.