New pool build!

Plops

Mar 27, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Building a new pool in Maryland.

First we had to take out the big oak tree...

imagejpg1_zps0e704206.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsb66d08de.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsfacbb5c6.jpg

Last edited:
The stump was go big it had to be ground up...

imagejpg5_zps831587e2.jpg

Lucky for us the kids were off from school the day the bulldozers came. It was really fun to watch the pool take shape.

imagejpg7_zpsf606f9b1.jpg

imagejpg10_zpsb268cd88.jpg

The bulldozer wasn't able to break up or fit the tree root ball in the dump truck, so it was left in our yard. :mad:

imagejpg11_zps8708afee.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The deep end will be about 9 feet and is off on the right...

imagejpg8_zpsa7eb37ae.jpg

imagejpg13_zps0a8a6b72.jpg

Here's the deep end; it has a seat in it, and the pool wall will be raised on one side with a fountain coming out of it so the kids can jump off (instead of a diving board). Sorry I don't know the correct terminology for this thing! The decking around it will have a step up on that end.

imagejpg16_zps8738eb58.jpg

Shallow end to deep end...
imagejpg15_zpscabee6fc.jpg

So you can see on the left in the shallow end will be a "sun shelf" which is really just a big huge step. We decided to put that there for our big 100 lb. dog to get in and out more easily.

imagejpg18_zps84a649ea.jpg

So everything was going very quickly with the pool build; a few days later, a rebar crew came and put the rebar in. And we were just waiting for the inspectors. But then the rain came...

- - - Updated - - -

So they were calling for a good 2 inches of rain. The deep end started to puddle. Then it started to fill. I snapped this photo around 1pm:

imagejpg19_zpsd7e6fbd7.jpg

And by 3pm, it looked like this:
imagejpg20_zps53529ac7.jpg

Um, so this is NOT quite what I had in mind when I envisioned filling my pool up...

imagejpg20_zps53529ac7.jpg

So the pool builder came out and put a pump in it, and after a couple days the water was drained from the pool. But the dirt walls turned to mud and slid down, covering the rebar in several passes. Inspector came out before pool was even drained and slapped a big "FAIL" sticker on our door. :(

imagejpg2_zps9c4117e9.jpg

Here's a closer look at the mud...

imagejpg1_zpsff53928e.jpg

So the pool builder came back and said the failed inspection was no surprise, given all the water. And I guess now they're very behind (since all over our area pools filled up and they had to go around pumping them all). Next step is to send a crew over to "muck" out the mud so the rebar can pass inspection.

Pool builder said not to worry about the dirt sliding behind the rebar...he said the concrete bonds to the rebar and it will be sturdy and solid even without the backfill...does that sound right?

Next step is inspection and concrete/gunnite...

Here are the specs:

30,000 gallons
41Lx24W
700 sq ft area
5'6 tanning ledge, 6' deep end loveseat
2' sheer descent
500 sq ft paver patio and paver coping

Chlorinator: Fusion Mineral System (which we decided to switch out for a salt generator)
Sunstone Quartz pebble finish in blue pearl
Jandy 1.5hp pump
Polaris 360 pool cleaner
Hayward Color Logic LED pool light

...so are we on the right track?

You don't need a mineral system so if you're getting it, get rid of it. It's a waste of money. You will turn every blonde haired beauty green. AND You'll stain your pool surface with unsightly metal stains. Do you really want to do all that?

Yeah, my daughter is blonde, so that mineral system is OUT. When the plumbers came, they did install it (they never got a change order), I called the pool builder and told him and he said he'll make the switch to the salt system (for an additional $1,200). Does that upgrade price sound right?

I'm not sure on the charge but glad to see you get rid of it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations! Looks like it's going to be a great pool! I think we are using the same pool builder... They also installed the Nature Fusion, but I also want it removed. What is the new system that you are switching out to? $1,200 sounds a little high though.

Good luck with your build!

Congratulations! Looks like it's going to be a great pool! I think we are using the same pool builder... They also installed the Nature Fusion, but I also want it removed. What is the new system that you are switching out to? $1,200 sounds a little high though.

Good luck with your build!

I don't know what the salt system is...I need to call the pool builder today and ask him some questions. He is very lax on detail; the more I read on this forum, the more questions I ask him! I will report back today and let you know.

They did hook up the mineral system, and left it in place (I guess so those pipes would be connected) until the salt system comes in. Waiting not so patiently for the gunnite!

That is what I was quoted too, and we decided to just keep the Fusion, on this forum people have managed to use Fusion without the mineral cartridge and that is what we intend to do. Could not justify $1200 of what seemingly was the difference between the two units.

Hey both..two more A&S folks...we also switched out for the Salt Generator....$1,200 in the long term isn't too much...I know we always have to balance these little 1K items or before you know it you've spent an additional 20K, but in this case I think the 1,200 is well worth it...just my 2 cents.

As an FYI and example, my friend had their pool built by AS and didn't buy the heater to save on cost, well now a year later and the heater is going to cost 6K to add...If I recall it was 2500 when the pool was being installed (I could look it up but I'm lazy). Just pointing out some things are better to bite the bullet up front. As they say, Buy once Cry once.

Is Nature Fusion Soft without the mineral Cartridge not the same as AquaPure without the capability to link with PureLink. That's what I thought, and the sales guy explained. I am not sure what it would cost me to switch now, Fusion system is already installed.

Is Nature Fusion Soft without the mineral Cartridge not the same as AquaPure without the capability to link with PureLink. That's what I thought, and the sales guy explained. I am not sure what it would cost me to switch now, Fusion system is already installed.

Hmm...I have no idea. What is PureLink?!? Just when I think I'm understanding the equipment...

- - - Updated - - -

Hey both..two more A&S folks...we also switched out for the Salt Generator....$1,200 in the long term isn't too much...I know we always have to balance these little 1K items or before you know it you've spent an additional 20K, but in this case I think the 1,200 is well worth it...just my 2 cents.

As an FYI and example, my friend had their pool built by AS and didn't buy the heater to save on cost, well now a year later and the heater is going to cost 6K to add...If I recall it was 2500 when the pool was being installed (I could look it up but I'm lazy). Just pointing out some things are better to bite the bullet up front. As they say, Buy once Cry once.

I think you're right, that's why we're putting it in now. Question for you: I notice you have a Sunstone Pearl finish. What color is it, and how do you like it? The Sunstone website does a terrible job showing photos of the water color; we are considering the Blue Pearl but i'm worried it's going to be too dark. Any suggestions or photos?

We went with Black Pearl and we wanted it dark...Pacific Ocean dark....almost went with a black bottom pool but thought this was dark enough. As for photos, your right we ended up just searching the net for black pearl photos and decided it was what we liked...that's the best advice I have for you on that one.

Well, after two rain delays we finally got concrete today! Yay!

imagejpg3_zps79e3fbae.jpg

Hmm...anyone else think that the first step onto the sun shelf is way too dinky??? Looks more like a tripping hazard than a step.

imagejpg6_zpscc8e2a0d.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So, the concrete guys left and didn't leave me any instructions. Am I supposed to keep this thing wet? How many times a day do I water?

Here's a photo of the "fun cascade" which is supposed to be a sheer wall with a fountain. I didn't realize they were setting it back from the edge of the pool...no clue how we're going to tile this part. That also looks pretty dinky, although I suppose once there is decking behind it and it's capped off with pavers it will look bigger?

- - - Updated - - -

imagejpg1_zps4b54ba5a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.