Dirt or Algae?

Apr 16, 2009
Pearland, Tx
I've searched this forum but couldn't come to any conclusions on the following. My pool has accumulated some dirt like debris in certain areas. They brush away easily but eventually return in the same spots. This debris is more concentrated by the return jets so part of me thinks this may be a filtration issue. Another part of me, however, thinks this may be a yellow/mustard algae issue. Right not I'm trying to decide whether to open up the filter housing to look for any cracks or issues that would allow debris to get pack into the pool or shock the pool to mustard algae levels. I have attached pictures. My numbers are as follows. Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

FC: 9
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
TA: 70
CH: 340
CYA: 70
Temp:76F

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpg
    IMG_6036.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6038.jpg
    IMG_6038.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 89
All I can say is that it's been a WICKED pollen season in Texas. I did the "mustard algae" shock thing back in the day before I wised up. I would only suspect mustard if it's in the shady areas of the pool only. And that mostly look like plain old dirt to me.

Looks like dirt but the OCLT will surely rat it out if it's algae!

Thanks to the suggestions and comments, I'm now pretty convinced it is dirt/pollen. The OCLT test results did not budge and remained the same at both checks. So it's either wind blown debris or filter issue. I may put a clean white sock on one of the returns to see if there is any dirt accumulation before thinking about checking inside of filter housing.

I have no solar covers so can't check there, but OCLT seemed pretty convincing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.