Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt or Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt or Algae?

I've searched this forum but couldn't come to any conclusions on the following. My pool has accumulated some dirt like debris in certain areas. They brush away easily but eventually return in the same spots. This debris is more concentrated by the return jets so part of me thinks this may be a filtration issue. Another part of me, however, thinks this may be a yellow/mustard algae issue. Right not I'm trying to decide whether to open up the filter housing to look for any cracks or issues that would allow debris to get pack into the pool or shock the pool to mustard algae levels. I have attached pictures. My numbers are as follows. Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

FC: 9
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 70
    CH: 340
    CYA: 70
    Temp:76F
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,500 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool; Hayward Northstar 1.5hp pump; Autopilot DIG-220 SWG system; Hayward Clearswim 2025 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 380 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt or Algae?

All I can say is that it's been a WICKED pollen season in Texas. I did the "mustard algae" shock thing back in the day before I wised up. I would only suspect mustard if it's in the shady areas of the pool only. And that mostly look like plain old dirt to me.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, that is either dirt/pollen or dead algae ... certainly does not look living.

I would suggest that you Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as see what that tells you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I'll do the OCLT tonight and tomorrow morning and see how it goes.
    11,500 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool; Hayward Northstar 1.5hp pump; Autopilot DIG-220 SWG system; Hayward Clearswim 2025 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 380 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like dirt but the OCLT will surely rat it out if it's algae!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Any algae hiding on a solar cover?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to the suggestions and comments, I'm now pretty convinced it is dirt/pollen. The OCLT test results did not budge and remained the same at both checks. So it's either wind blown debris or filter issue. I may put a clean white sock on one of the returns to see if there is any dirt accumulation before thinking about checking inside of filter housing.

I have no solar covers so can't check there, but OCLT seemed pretty convincing.