what do i need to meassure?

Apr 12, 2014
lousiana
so guys i use a baby bottle to measssure out the ammount of bleach i need to add to my pool but, is there there something better? i use the baby bottle cause it has ounces 1 - 9 on it, other things i found skip numbers by two......so whats better or what do you guys use? thanks so much

i use one of the wife's old measuring cups that she never used because it was graduated in ounces instead of cups.... :D

you can get a decent measuring cup in the Housewares section at walmart for a couple bucks. it would be a lot easier than a baby bottle. just make sure its in ounces.

you can get a decent measuring cup in the Housewares section at walmart for a couple bucks. it would be a lot easier than a baby bottle. just make sure its in ounces.

I think I paid all of $1 for a plastic measuring cup from WalMart that is marked in single ounce increments up to 40oz. I can't fathom measuring out acid additions into a baby bottle...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a 2 1/2 cup plastic measuring cup. I was having a hard time seeing the lines on the side so I just used a sharpie to make a mark at 10 and 20 oz. I usually add 20-25 oz. When I need 5 I just eyeball it between the 4 and 6 oz. I think I usually end up with 26 oz when I do that.

I added a step though. I keep my bleach in the kitchen and measure it out in there so instead of trying to carry that small cup of bleach, I set it in my special bleach bucket! (It's a pretty pink bucket I got on clearance at target because I like to buy stuff.)

If I need more than 20 oz I measure the smaller amount (usually 5 oz) dump it in the bucket then measure the 20oz and just sit the cup (full of 20 oz) in there and carry the bucket to the pool. I use the cup to pour it into the pool because it makes a nice small stream so I don't add to quickly.

Main reason for the bucket is so I don't risk spilling the bleach on me when I'm walking out to the pool. I'm sure the one day I only need 20oz and I try to walk with that cup full I'll trip on something stupid and bleach will go everywhere!

*edit* I've never had to use acid before so I don't know about what I'd use for that!

thanks for the link....i like the idea of this jugIMG_4045_opt.jpg guess ill have to look up in pool math how much bleach gets me to 1 ppm, 2ppm and so on huh and put that on the side of a jug....guess a gallon water bottle would work btw i forgot is 4 or 5 ppm the target FC? and what happens if at some time i might be at 6 or so? im guessing its not a huge deal cause 10 and more is shock level right?

I don't get why you people think in ounces (exception for DaneCE--kudos!). What a waste of time. Use ppm. I always use 12.5% LC so I use a DE scoop that is marked in ppm FC. 1 ppm FC for my size pooll is about an inch down from the top. The mark is a scratch, because LC will bleach out any known marker. MA comes in one gallon bottles. On my size pool, one-third of a bottle corresponds to one drop of acid demand reagent in the Taylor system which nobody on here uses but I prefer. Never need to calculate for FC and MA--just do it once and as long as your pool size and chem concentration doesn't change you never do it again. KISS. I save PoolCalc for my Sunday check of all chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.